PDA

View Full Version : 125 gallon hook and light

HallooNYC
02-20-2005, 11:04 PM
So i'm thinking of getting a 125 gallon tank from my LFS and wanted to order some kinda hood and lighting from some online retailer. What size hood would i need? the 125 gallon tank at my LFS looked like the hood was broken up into 3 pieces and i cant find a hood/canopy with lighting for a 72" tank. Any suggestions?

Cosmo
02-20-2005, 11:34 PM
You may have to go with a canopy instead of a conventional hood. Never saw a 72in hood either. Depending on what kind of lights you want, you buy them separate and attach them to the inside of the canopy. I use Coral Life EZ Ballast kits and have had good success with them.

Jim

RandalB
02-21-2005, 01:15 AM
I use Coral Life EZ Ballast kits and have had good success with them.

You sure like to go the expensive route Jim...

RandalB

DISCUS USA
02-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi BomberNYC,,try www.thatpetplace.com or www.drfostersmith.com pretty decent prices.. explain to the person on the phone which size tank you need tops and lighting for,, see how much comes out with shipping,,sometimes for certain tops and lighting getting it from LFS is about same as online after shipping cost.. if anything check with any PETLAND DISCOUNT out here ,,, all them have same pricing on everthing.Good luck.

Cosmo
02-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Randal...

Actually cheaper than a 2 bulb striplight and you can configure the bulbs any way you like... believe it or not, I actually priced it out before I ordered :D

Jim

RandalB
02-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Jim,
Next time you come by, I'll be happy to show you how to DIY your own light fixtures for next to nothing... I'm talking pennies on the dollar bro and no real electrical skills needed. You don't think I spent all that $$ on lighting for my reef tanks do you?

More $$ saved = More discus bought

RandalB

Cosmo
02-24-2005, 12:20 AM
More $$ saved = More discus bought

Randal.. can't hardly argue with that one.. :D

Jim

Greg Richardson
02-25-2005, 01:04 AM
Hi Randel. Do you have a post somewhere detailing cheap light systems?

I'm right in the middle of thinking the lighting situation through as I'm on a budget and don't care what my lights look like just that it works well.
I right now have single strip light and it's very low light.
Thanks!