PDA

View Full Version : Back in the hobby!

HTown Discus
02-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Hello guys. I raised Discus back before Al Gore invented the Internet and am getting back into it. This forum is great. It looks like technological advances have made Discus raising much easier than it was 10 years ago.

I got my tank setup today. It's a 90-gallon with an AquaClear 500 with a pre-filter sponge and a 200-watt heater. I plan to leave the tank bare-bottom and cycle the filter, fishless, for about a month. ...

Couple of questions...
- Do I need a sponge filter/powerhead? If so, what do you recommend?
- Will the 200-watt heater be enough?
- I'm going to see Dan (Gulf Coast Discus) this weekend and really want to bring a couple of fish home. What are your thoughts?
- Who are the best sources for getting juvenilles on the cheap?

Thanks in advance for all of your advise.

jkeithh1969
02-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Glad to see I am not the only getting back into Discus after all these years. I too have been amazed at how different things are now than when I used to keep discus.

funkyfish
02-22-2005, 10:03 PM
i use a 350 watt heater in a 75 so u mite want to get a little bigger heater
i use hydro-V sponges in my tanks they are cheap and easy to mantain a good rinse every other week not real up to date on the hang-on filters but i'm sure some of the more expienced folks here will help u out. i get all my fish from gikkicat he's on here somewhere just got 7 from him the other day
good luck

Cosmo
02-22-2005, 10:20 PM
HTown.. welcome back.. we all come back lol

General rule of thumb for heaters is 5 watts per gallon, so by that you'd be looking for around 500watts. Having said that, I had a 250watt ebo in my 90, but it's acrylic (better thermal properties than glass) and was in the family room.. a lot depends on where the tank is and how cool the area is.

You Don't NEED a sponge, but that's probably the best way to go. Not sure the AC would be enough by itself, but I don't own one so I could be wrong. A couple of Hydo 5's would look good in a tank that size :)

I hear Dan at GulfCoastDiscus has some really nice fish, the ones on his website are awesome, plus Dan is a really nice guy. You might also check in with Cary at GLD and I hear Jack at Discus KC has some nice fish too. If you're into Wilds, check in with Al, Brewmaster15 -

Avoid the LFS's unless you get real lucky and find a good one that knows how to care for Discus.

Did you really think you could stay away from Discus ??? :D

and... Welcome to Simply too :)

Jim

April
02-23-2005, 01:15 AM
cool bananas. welcome back to discus keeping. hold onto your seat..your in for the ride of your life. lol. theres alot of great discus these days..and theres also a few great discus sellers out there. my advice..choose one person..and remember..new group..new tank. dont mix..and all should go well. the banners on this site all have nice fish and they are reputable people. of course theres also others who have nice fish who dont have banners. check out the photo gallery..alot post pics of what they got from who etc..or ask for recommendations..
best of course if you get to go see the fish. if your going this weekend..im sure youll find somethin you like.
so..let us all know when the next tank goes up for the next group . lol.
and report on what you find this weekend.
i recommend sticking a few hyrdro fives in your tank for two reasons. first off..you can alternate rinsing the sponges on alternate days..and the second great reason..if if you do need another sponge for a hospital tank or..you get a new group and new tank..you just take a cycled sponge to the new tank..add one more again to each tank..and then you always have backup cycled sponges.

lkleung007
02-23-2005, 03:28 AM
Hi,

Welcome Back to the Addiction!!

For a 90 gallon, I would personally use the following...

1) two 200 watt heaters (really depends on where the tank is)
2) Aquaclear 500 (with two sponges for more biological filtration)
3) two Hydrosponge 5 filters (more biological filtration is better in my opinoin)
4) prefilter sponge (this will keep the Aquaclear filter cleaner)

Good luck with your new juveniles.

HTH, Lester

dpt8
02-23-2005, 08:21 AM
I like 007's reply to your 90 gl. set up as I was thinking the same set up. That is a big tank to cycle out but once they are cycled there are very stable. Also there was a reply to buy from only one hatchery for now. So stick with Dan since you can go there. Maybe he as a couple of seeded sponges to sell you. Good luck and post pics of your fish when you get all set up!!!

GulfCoastDiscus
02-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Looking forward to meeting you Htown.

You found this great place for source, friendship and information. There's a lot of good ppl here.

dan

HTown Discus
02-23-2005, 11:04 AM
So could I ditch the AC and use just (2) Hydro Sponges? Am I correct in assuming that a powerhead is used for suction in the sponges?

GulfCoastDiscus
02-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Wait til you come by so you can see my set-up. I use all sponge filter in my tank without powerheads.

dan

Terrybo
02-23-2005, 10:25 PM
If you used to raise discus in the stone age, you will be amazed at Dan's fish. The varieties have changed so much! You are really in for a treat. I've bought juveniles, teenagers, and adults from Dan. Great fish, great prices, and he is a truly nice guy.

You are going to love getting back into the hobby!

I'm using a 200 watt heater in my 75 gallon show tank - I unplug it in the summer, since it isn't needed, but in the winter it heats the tank to a toasty 84-86 degrees. Not sure it would be enough for a 90 gallon though -maybe just supplement with a 75 watt or a 100 watt - that way if one of the heaters breaks and is stuck on, it can't overheat the tank.

Terry

funkyfish
02-24-2005, 12:49 PM
the hydro-5 's are rated for a 80 gal each i use 2 in a 75 i would imagine that 2 would be fine in a 90. not sure if i would ditch the ac or not . air driven seems to work fine for me