PDA

View Full Version : About when do discus reach their full color?

Bar-L
02-24-2005, 04:21 PM
I've several RT's, a little over a year old that are still not fully colored, fins and head are nicely colored, bodies are still more brown than anything. About when do discus reach their full color?

Thanks, Adam

RyanH
02-24-2005, 04:38 PM
It depends on the strain and the individual. Some fish will show some color very early on, like within the first few weeks after going freeswimming, while others can take quite some time. Your turqs may just be a group that takes longer to color up, or they could be fish that won't have alot of color.

I've had fish that were ugly as sin for more than a year since I bought them and then one day I look in the tank and thought "wow, that fish is really starting to look nice." It was almost as if it happened over night... it just caught me by surprise. :)

Carol_Roberts
02-24-2005, 05:34 PM
Most should have full color between 12 - 18 months

jeep
02-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Unfortunately some never do...

Here are some I received about 2 years ago... I'm not complaining. I like them all. I wonder what the crossing potential would be with a color-less SS???

1st is a Red SS...

jeep
02-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Here is another Red SS... The most colorful of all three...

jeep
02-24-2005, 06:30 PM
And here is a Red Turk... Nice shape and a close throw-back to a wild, I guess :confused: 9 bars though???

P.S. Isn't that about the ugliest BD you've ever seen??? :D

Howie_W
02-24-2005, 08:08 PM
P.S. Isn't that about the ugliest BD you've ever seen??? :D

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/672.gif Hey! Quit pick'n on him! I like old bumpy! http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/603.gif

Howie

Howie_W
02-24-2005, 08:17 PM
I've several RT's, a little over a year old that are still not fully colored, fins and head are nicely colored, bodies are still more brown than anything. About when do discus reach their full color?

Thanks, Adam

Genetics determines what the final color will be. As with many strains, you'll find quite a bit of variation depending upon the previous generations. It's possible your fish will continue to show stronger color over the course of the next year. As Ryan said, some fish take longer than others to reach their full potential.

Howie

CARY_GLdiscus
02-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Jeep You are 100% right

lots of patterned Discus and this would also include spotted Discus And Even striated Pbs.

Not all will grow into full color or even pattern some might only show half or partical. I agree that it has alot to do with throwbacks and or WILD Blood.

Adam,
After a year I would say thats it for color. Out of all the types and strains the brownbase discus color up the slowest.

But And There is allways a but! Some breeders now Overseas breed for faster color on younger fish and have had good turn out with better colored young from brownbased fish.

hth
Takecare
Cary Gld!

jeep
02-24-2005, 08:36 PM
So is there any genetic potential for a completely colorless SS (or turk) crossed with something?

Howie, that BD developed a serious external bacterial condition at about 2 1/2" that ate clear through 1/3rd of his upper body. I almost culled him but I wanted to try saving my first sick fish. I'm glad I was able to because he has a BRILLIANT personality! The puppy-dog of the discus world :D

CARY_GLdiscus
02-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Yes Jeep,

Believe it or Not the discus Gene pool is very Large! I bet if You crossed them together you would end up with some very colorful red turks and fineline snakes.

No mater how colorful the brownbase discus pair is they still will throw a % of
colorless babies. And the same would work the other way around very dule parents.

Ofcourse with inbreeding and linebreeding the % of Colorful Fry can be raised to a higher percent.

hth
Cary Gld!

Howie_W
02-25-2005, 12:46 AM
So is there any genetic potential for a completely colorless SS (or turk) crossed with something?

Howie, that BD developed a serious external bacterial condition at about 2 1/2" that ate clear through 1/3rd of his upper body. I almost culled him but I wanted to try saving my first sick fish. I'm glad I was able to because he has a BRILLIANT personality! The puppy-dog of the discus world :D

I have to say that some of my favorite fish from the past were ones that any sane person would have classified as a cull. Sometimes you can save a fish like this and it ends up being one the healthiest and long lived ones in your home. :)

Howie

Howie_W
02-25-2005, 12:56 AM
After a year I would say thats it for color. Out of all the types and strains the brownbase discus color up the slowest.

Cary,

I'd say the Red Royal Blues are a good example of this. Having has some that were born at more than several months apart from each other, it's interstesting to watch how slower color development takes place; faint pattern formation, followed by early color on the dorsal and anal fins, and then still lagging is the gradual turnover fom the brown base to the stong red color that provides the nice contrast for the blue patterning.

In the past I've had fish that are still going through color development well into their second year...this includes Pigeons as well.

Howie

CARY_GLdiscus
02-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Howie,
I understand What Your Saying and Yes colors can lighten and darken to many shades But Striation spot developement are for the most part over within a year!
HTH
Cary Gld!