PDA

View Full Version : Vent on local fish store

tpl*co
02-28-2005, 05:38 PM
I just have a minor gripe on a LFS. I was there last week and they had a new shipment of light faced Marlboro reds and another red type of discus that just took my breath away. I could see several in each tank that I would be more than happy to go home with. Of course they had the "New arrivals, not for sale" marks on the tanks.

The sad thing is that when I was there this weekend they all look like heck now. Dark, not swimming right, very thin and look really sick :(. I feel so bad for these fish! They look so much better when they first get there than when they going through their quarantine!

I wish that whoever takes care of their young discus would get a clue :(.

mench
02-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Sadly that is the norm with most LFS..not all of course,but the ones I have been to,the discus look fine when they first get there ad a week or less,you might as well toss them..to bad the LFS owners don't get online and hit the discus boards...

Mench

Barb Newell
02-28-2005, 06:46 PM
I agree, I hate what they do to the discus. I stood at a local lfs store last week in front of a discus tank until they agreed to test the water because the discus were gasping for air. They assured me that the water was excellent, I said "I don't think so"... anyway, turns out they were in ammonia, nitrites and high nitrates. They did do a water change.

Many of the fish come in vibrant and hormoned and the store owners know it. I've talked to them about it. They tell me the consumers don't stand a chance with the fish :angry:

Barb

RyanH
02-28-2005, 06:52 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

If we continue to give these people our money they will continue to carry (and kill) Discus.

This should go for any animal that is not properly cared for. If you go into a petstore and they have an animal that is not cared for DO NOT BUY IT!! Call the police.

Resist the urge to buy!!!

tpl*co
02-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Here I've been looking for a good red and it just broke my heart this weekend to check on that fish and see them in such pitiful condition! :cry: He was perfectly round and gorgeous (not too brightly colored). I should be there when they arrive from shipping and take my cut from the top! (Let me inspect that shipment please, well this fish must come with me for further testing...)

(and here I have to pay shipping to get fish I can trust since the stores can't keep them properly :()

jeep
02-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Why don't you try educating them on the proper care? You may gain a good friend...

aloha-discus1
02-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Aloha, I agree with Brian. I have 3 LFS that I deal with as far as sales of discus. I have asked all to join Simply to learn or to just ask questions. They have not joined at all but when the need arrives they usually call me. I am by no means and expert but if I can answer then I do if not I try to help by finding what they need. Nearly 100% of the time I will find the answer here on Simply. Everyone on this forum should pat themselves on the back for a job well done.
But there are still those out there that will continue to do what they do and no one can tell them any different. To those they will continue to lose.

Ike :D

Tad
02-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Why don't you try educating them on the proper care? You may gain a good friend...We all have seen the lack of discus husbandry at the LFS...at many of these types of stores the owners or managers buy in volume and are willing to take a high percentage loss on discus (due to the lack of husbandry), they buy juvs at a couple of dollars or maybe $10..mark them up to $39 to "Whatever" and make a profit even with losses.....I have to agree not all LFS are like this, most that are seem to be the corporate type fish stores..... the locally owned LFS that have been in business for many, many years seem to do a much better job...problem is that with all of their stock and species many with central systems...husbandry still suffers when it comes to discus...

I agree with Jeepster! spend time helping them learn if they are willing......its called "paying it forward"...in all essence we all are mentors :)

JMO,
Tad

Robin764
03-01-2005, 02:24 AM
A local petsmart had some very nice 6 inch blues (wild-type) for 64.00 each. I told them there were not keeping them warm enough, and the manager told me they were bred for 74 degrees. It was very hard for me not to buy them, but I figured they would just think they were good sellers and order more.

Does anyone have any of those bred for 74 degree discus? lol, think of my electric bill!!

Robin

jules
03-01-2005, 08:51 AM
I've had good luck with my LFS discus, better luck than the ones from the breeder. Some stores are more knowledgeable and take better care of their fish. I was in Montreal yesterday and the LFS was very receptive towards my input. Their wilds were in bad shape, but the domestics didn't look too bad and came from the local breeder. I resisted the wilds because I knew they would be trouble, unfortunately so because one was a heckel mix, with royal in it. I bought a couple of healthy fry. Paid too much of course, but it was convenient.

Robin, Petsmart in Canada doesn't appear to carry discus. They carry many other sa cichlids and they all do very well.
When you read alot of literature on Discus, often the temp recommended is surprisingly quite low. This makes them more susceptible to disease.
Discus Fish recommends temps 82-88.

Julie