PDA

View Full Version : male eating eggs??:-(

john480
02-28-2005, 09:11 PM
i know this was brought up but i cant find it.my female is laying eggs and as soon as sahe does he eats them .i know they are young about 3-4 inches but this is the 2nd time .im lost and dont know what to do???

john480
02-28-2005, 10:23 PM
nobody ???

sidra
02-28-2005, 10:30 PM
I am new to discus in the past couple months, so obviously I've never bred them. I do have a similar situation with my pair or Rams (shhh! don't tell anyone). They are little more than half grown and have started spawning regularly. Each time though, the female guards the eggs a little longer before he eats them. I'm was told it's because they are immature and that they should eventually get it. (I can just hear daddy-ram saying "I don't want no darn kids! Besides, I like caviar" Ha Ha).

For discus I have heard/read that you can make a wire mesh netting to put over the eggs so the parents can fan them, but not get close enough to eat them. I'm sure that info is also somewhere in this forum.

etr63
02-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi John

I am having the same problem with my first pair. I have read that it can take some time for them to get it rite. Mine are in a tank with 3 other discus and I am in the process of painting a 29 to move them to in hopes that they will be successful if they are by them self. I hope they get it rite some day. As I am writing this I am watching them clean the lift tube and chase the other fish away. Mine have spawned 4 times already but he loves caviar. LOL.

HTH

Earl

Tad
02-28-2005, 11:26 PM
i know this was brought up but i cant find it.my female is laying eggs and as soon as sahe does he eats them .i know they are young about 3-4 inches but this is the 2nd time .im lost and dont know what to do???John,
From my experience with some young pairs this does happen..Normally the female matures faster than the males and will lay eggs. The male being young and not "ready :) " just sees caviar. I have had young pairs do the same thing and "Hopefully" as the male matures he quits eating the eggs.
Secondly hopefully you do have a pair and the egg eater isnt another female :(
Lastly I do hope you have a "good" male who develops into a willing partner and not a "mule"

IME, give them some time to develop...its not unusual to see what your experiencing and seeing multiple attempts to spawn before they get it right..

best of luck,
Tad

fishies
03-02-2005, 11:34 PM
I have the same problem with 2 of my pairs. they are both young pairs. but the 1 pair has raised fry with a previous owner. hope they come around soon. I would hate to have to put the males in with my wild discus that beats up on anyone else in the tank. See if he can beat some sense in them.