PDA

View Full Version : Parasite Clear for Hex?

nacra99
03-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Hi all,
Last week, i noticed that my 2" fish turn dark and started hiding. They would try to eat but would spit out whatever i fed. They also had white poop hanging out from their rear end... so i immediately suspected Hex. I had a ton of Parasite clear in the closet, and i know that it contained metronidazole, so i did 3 consecutive treatments of parasite clear as per what was written on the box.
Today i still noticed white poop.

I know that Parasite clear contains other compounds which i'm not sure are safe for prolonged treatment. So i'm wondering if it's going to be okay to keep treating with Parasite clear?

thanks all!
Marc

RyanH
03-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Hey Marc,

I agree with Barb. You are going to want to go get yourself some metronidazole. I would buy enough to treat your tank for at least five days, three times per day @ 500 mg/10 gallons.

hth!
-Ryan

nacra99
03-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks Barb and Ryan. It's another trip to the LFS for me!

Marc

RyanH
03-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Marc,

You will pay an arm and a leg for metro in the lfs. I would buy a two day supply and order it in bulk online. JMHO.

www.jehmco.com has 100 grams for 11 bucks plus shipping. In the pet store you will pay 5 or 6 dollars for 8 capsules @ 250 mg each.

hth!
-Ryan

nacra99
03-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks Ryan... that certainly helps

Marc

Wahter
03-01-2005, 04:43 PM
don't forget to raise the temp and keep the aeration going too during treatment. :)

nacra99
03-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks Walter!... I shall not forget.
Another thing tho..... i just got back from the LFS and they didn't have any Hex-a-mit or Metrozone... they did have this thing called "metro+". It cost me $8.69 for approx 100g. I wonder if anyone has used that before and could offer some advice.

The ingredients on the bottle are :metronidazole (2-methyl-5-nitroimidazole-1-ethanol) (active ingredient); sodium cloride, synthetic polymers and a chelating agent.
I take that to mean that it contains metronidiazol, salt and some other inert stuff?

Dosage reccomended is 9.7g (9700mg) of that stuff.... it was cheap... so i bought it just in case the metro i ordered from jehmco doesn't arrive soon enough....

Any takes on Metro+ ???
http://www.uskoi.com/metro+.htm

Northwestcoastdisc
03-01-2005, 11:32 PM
any brand name of metronidazole treat 400 MG to 500MG work and get better Also you can add med in the food. one time a day for 5 days.

hth

Duncan

nacra99
03-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Merci Duncan!

Northwestcoastdisc
03-02-2005, 11:59 AM
beinville ( sp??) Welcome nacra99

I hope your discus will get better soon.

Good luck

Duncan

Jungle
03-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Thank you, for using JungleŽ Products. Here is a suggestion on how to use our JungleŽ Parasite Clear Tank Buddies when dealing with Hexamita. 400-500mg/10gallons=10.5-13.2ppm, which is about the double of any "book" recommended dosage. These levels can be achieved using JungleŽ Parasite Clear Tank Buddies if you treat with 1 tablet per 5 gallons of aquarium water. When doing this, dissolve the tablets in a glass of aquarium water and then pour this into your aquarium in order to avoid overdosing with CO2. While other ingredients will be above normal levels, they will still be in safe range.

Jungle Laboratories Customer Resource Center.

CARY_GLdiscus
03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Dear Jungle Laboratories Customer Resource Center,

Could you please tell us about the other active Chemicals that are added to Your Metronidazole mix.

Also did Jungle Laboratories Customer Resource Center test this product on discus fish and or other tropical Fish? Are We sure a double dose is safe?

Thank You for Your Time
Cary + family

brewmaster15
03-05-2005, 02:23 AM
Hi all,
Its not often that we get manufacturer's posting about their product line here..When we saw Jungle posting it raised a red flag in the moderator section and I contacted them to verify that it was in fact a Jungle rep posting advice here.

I spoke with them yesterday and they were very helpful and did confirm their post here as authentic. According to them , They periodically search forums for posts on their products and try to help where they feel they can. Personally That gives me one more reason to use their products :)

Cary brings up some good questions though and I hope they are still following this post to answer it. One thing they told me is that anytime anyone has any questions about their product they are welcome to call them and ask.

Hth,
al

nacra99
03-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the clarification Al. I admit that i was a little bit skeptical when I read the post and wasn't really sure to believe it.

But I think that it is really cool that we have the manufacturer actually prowling our forum and helping us out with the questions.

On another note... the discus seem to be feeling better.:thumbsup:

GottaBeKiN
03-25-2008, 11:33 PM
I know I am bringing up an old thread, but does anyone know if you can use the Parasite Clear Tank Buddies everyday, as oppose to the recommended 48 hours dosage? I am also using the double dosage, 1 tab / 5 gallons. (I hope Jungle would chip in again after 3 years lol)

fishmama
03-26-2008, 09:17 AM
You might want to call and ask Jungle. It has been reformulated since this thread was posted. 1-800-357-7104 or www.junglelabs.com