PDA

View Full Version : I've got wigglers!

177ichael
03-01-2005, 07:05 PM
This morning I went to check on the eggs in my breeder tank that were laid last Saturday. I've had the eggs covered by mesh ever since the eggs were laid and fertilized. The majority of the eggs have turned white, however, there are approx 20-30 eggs that are wiggling. Is this a normal hatch rate for water with a hardness of about 3 degrees? Thanks!

Carol_Roberts
03-01-2005, 07:24 PM
That is a low hatch rate for GH 3, but maybe a normal hatch rate for an inexperienced male who doesn't aim very good yet ;)

177ichael
03-01-2005, 08:12 PM
The white eggs seem to be dispersed evenly throughout, which makes me think it would not be related to the male missing his target :) Do water changes ever have an impact on hatch rate? I was out of town for a couple days and missed a daily water change.

Giniel
03-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Hi , I don't think the eggs turning white was affected by the lack of water changes. My Green turk male is still learning how to aim. He misses a few here and there . I watched the female push him aside and she even swam sideway across the tank to lay eggs and he couldn't get to all of them. I bet in a few more tries there will be less white.
Debbie

177ichael
03-01-2005, 08:43 PM
The last time my female laid eggs, she also ate them before they hatched. I was told to try taking her out of the tank and leaving the wigglers with the male to raise. Right now, they are both separated. Is an egg eater always an indicator of a free swimming eater?

Carol_Roberts
03-02-2005, 11:05 PM
egg eaters don't necessarily eat free swimmers.

177ichael
03-03-2005, 12:29 PM
The number of wigglers has narrowed down to about 15... The male is the only one in the tank now and has moved the wigglers from the cone to the heater. They are still attached to the heater. I'm not sure if they will get to the next stage as it seems like the number of wigglers continues to decline. I'm not sure if they maybe attached to the heater in a place that I can't see.