PDA

View Full Version : discus arrival

grelot
03-03-2005, 02:18 PM
I everybody

I'm ordering discus that I will receive in two weeks. This will be the first time that I buy fish that are coming to me by plane and also the first time that I will have to acclimate 20 fishes in the same time. I wanted to have your advices on what to do with these fishes. I mean, I have aquariums since 12 years and I breed angelfishes, so I know how to acclimate fish and stuff. But I wanted to know if you guys do something special with the fishes that are just arriving from a plane trip. I mean do you do special treatment are just acclimate them as any other fish. Do you do a preventive treatment for ich or other diseases, or you do treat only if any problem appear.

Any advices from people that have the experience of buying fish through plane shipping will be welcomed.

thank you
Remi

Carol_Roberts
03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
HI Remi:
I have their tank temperature at 84 and the pH the same as the sellers. I put a bag in the sink, cut off the top, pour off most of the water, reach inside with both hands, gently grasp the discus and plop it into the tank. Repeat until all bags are empty.

The bag water is full of ammonia. I do not add my hard water to the bag or acclimate them in a bucket of mixed ammonia-filled bag water. I think they do best if moved directly in to clean, warm water.

April
03-03-2005, 03:57 PM
i second carols advice. this is how most add them to the new tank even after being shipped from asia or somewhere. straight into clean water and salt added . theres a chance if you add water and air to the water their in..they will end up with burned fins and gills . as long as your not going down in ph..which is not likely..as the ph in bags is quite low after being shipped. so your going up in temp and ph.
let us all know what you get..etc. we all love hearing about everyones new fishies. good luck . hope it all goes well. i can honestly say..ive most likely got more fish shipments from individual breeders..just for myself..than alot on this forum over the years. lol. Hrd for me to turn down getting fish when i know some are entering vancouver airport. OUt of all the fish ive received..rarely ive lost fish due to shipping. so im sure it will all go well.

Tad
03-03-2005, 04:27 PM
grelot,
I also do not feed them for about a day after arrival and also leave the lights off for 24 hours...this helps them settle in...

Also I would not pre-treat for any health issue unless it is needed...

HTH,
Tad

grelot
03-03-2005, 05:55 PM
do you systematically add salt to the tank before adding the new fishes in or do u wait and look how the things are going?

grelot
03-03-2005, 05:59 PM
and also carol, u sait that u put them directly into the tank without acclimating them unto the bag or into the bucket. Does that mean that even if the temperature in the bag is lower u dont bother to acclimate them to the warmer temp?

If per badluck the shipping was shitty and the water in the bag is really cold, would u rush them into the warm tank or acclimate them?

Beth
03-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi grelot

I would do just as Carol and Pril suggested....

Does that mean that even if the temperature in the bag is lower u dont bother to acclimate them to the warmer temp?

I would just add them to the warmer water .....

Beth

HTown Discus
03-03-2005, 07:52 PM
HI Remi:
I have their tank temperature at 84 and the pH the same as the sellers. I put a bag in the sink, cut off the top, pour off most of the water, reach inside with both hands, gently grasp the discus and plop it into the tank. Repeat until all bags are empty.

The bag water is full of ammonia. I do not add my hard water to the bag or acclimate them in a bucket of mixed ammonia-filled bag water. I think they do best if moved directly in to clean, warm water.

Carol, my pH is over 8 and the seller's is around 7. I've got my tank in pristine shape and am afraid to add any chemicals other than neutralizing the chloramines. What do you advise?

Howie_W
03-03-2005, 08:28 PM
do you systematically add salt to the tank before adding the new fishes in or do u wait and look how the things are going?

Hi grelot :)

You can go ahead and add salt just prior to placing the fish in your tank. The main reason for using salt is to help reduce stress on the fish as they acclimate to thier new surroundings. Salt then slowly gets removed as you perform your first water changes.

I also do as Tad suggested, lights off and no feeding on the first day.

Howie

Howie_W
03-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Carol, my pH is over 8 and the seller's is around 7. I've got my tank in pristine shape and am afraid to add any chemicals other than neutralizing the chloramines. What do you advise?

There's no need to add other chemicals to your tank...going up in your pH range is not a huge issue. The best thing to do is get the fish into fresh clean water asap.

Howie

Cosmo
03-03-2005, 08:38 PM
I'll fourth Carol's advice, third Tad's, Second Mrs_Tonys and Howies. More than likely the water in the bag is going to be nasty, best to get them out ASAP. Some may drop to the bottom of the tank for awhile but usually recover quickly.. some may just start swimming like nothings happened... then let them settle in and get comfortable and observe discreetly :)

Jim

Carol_Roberts
03-04-2005, 12:46 AM
My pH from the tap is 6.8. If they are coming from a low pH source I can fill the tank with warm tap water that has not aerated much. The pH stays under 7.4 until I turn on the filters then it goes up to 7.8 after a couple of hours. Discus have an easier time going up in pH. I also don't feed for 24 hours.

Northwestcoastdisc
03-04-2005, 12:35 PM
In addation,

If your new discus do not so well, you can treatment Fruan 2

Good luck

Duncan