PDA

View Full Version : Ich in a planted tank.

Tiptoptank
03-07-2005, 05:09 PM
I have a very nise planted tank and one of my discus have come down with mild ich. I don't want to just throw meds in the tank and kill off my plants. I like my plants! Just wondering if there are any goodmed for killinh ich with no affect on the plants. I am doing the high heat (88F)method as we speak but, I know that the plants are gunna take a beating.

sidra
03-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Hi, I've used "Aquari-sol" by Aquarium Products for ich. It worked in less than 24 hours and did not harm my plants. (I have Amazon Swords, Sagittaria and a pretty pink & green plant I have no clue what it is).

I have also used Aquari-sol for clamped fin-again, worked fast. It also works for costia and chilodonella.

I think it's a great product.

Good luck!

Kristen (aka Sidra)

Tiptoptank
03-07-2005, 07:39 PM
what is the main ingerdient in aquarisol?
24hour treats nothing in the long run. I bet its formalin

sidra
03-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Yes, I'm sorry, I did mean to mention the ingredient. It's copper sulfate. It says on the bottle it's safe for plants, and again, my plants are fine and I've had to use Aquari-sol twice.

You do have to treat daily until cured. I think I used it for 3 or 4 days and it does tell you to raise the temp to 85F if not already. I just meant that in 24 hours there was a 95% improvement.

Tiptoptank
03-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I see copper does affect your plants but, only if you look at them with a miroscope. 8)

Wahter
03-07-2005, 07:58 PM
I am pretty sure vallisneria plants are sentive to copper.

I've had great luck using Quickcure and yes, it's a formalin + malachite green mixture in a planted tank for treating costia in the past, it should work for ich too. The plants didn't show any signs of destruction. :)

Suzanne
03-08-2005, 01:36 PM
I add Aquarisol weekly as a preventative - Quick Cure was used once but it's very hard on tetras - I lost a whole school of Cardinal tetras

Tiptoptank
03-08-2005, 10:46 PM
DO you add weekly aquarsol to a planted tank or a BB tank?

Wahter
03-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Although the directions on Quick cure say to use half dose on tetras and loaches, in my experience, I've not had any trouble using it. And I even treated a school of 17 cardinals in a barebottom quarantine tank with it - no deaths in my conditions. Your mileage may vary. :)

-gb-
03-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Just finished dealing with a similar problem. Two of my discus got ich because of a mishap with my heater and the temp in my tank crashing.

I cranked the heat up to 88, added 2tbs of salt to 10 gallons, turned off the co2, and have been doing 20% water changes daily. The plants took a little bit of a beating but after 3.5 days the ick completely cleared up.

I’ll keep a close eye over the next few days to make sure there is not a recurrence.

I’ve turned the heat down to 82 and turned the co2 back on this morning.

All is good and the plants have already started to bounce back.

no meds – no problems

graham

F8VRT-HBY
03-09-2005, 09:35 PM
not to rob a thread or anything, but arent you always sappose to use 1 tbs of salt if you are using it??

-gb-
03-09-2005, 10:19 PM
I don’t normally add salts to my Discus tank. I only use it as medication