PDA

View Full Version : How much space does a discus really need?

Sergey
03-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi All,

Here's what I'm wondering about. How much space does an average 6" adult discus really need? I've heard 10 gallons, but that just somehow seems low. The 'Discus Health' book mentions 75-100 liters minimum, which works out to some 20-26 US gallons.

I understands there're hygiene requirements, and those can be met by massive WCs if need be, but on the other hand there must be other considerations, such as territorial. I also understand there's the 'the more the better' point of view, but for the most of us there're economic limits in what we can do.

I'd appreciate if you could share your experiences of long-term keeping of adult discus and your stocking densities.

Regards,
Sergey.

Cosmo
03-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi Sergey,

Years ago, I kept 5 adult discus in a 55 and they all grew and lived to a ripe old age. After awhile, they picked their spot in the tank and seemed to be comfortable with that.

A few months back, I had 11 adults in a 180 and they actually formed two schools, one on each side of the tank, with one straggler in the middle that went back and forth... they all crossed over from time to time but pretty much stayed to their groups.

I temporarily now have 22 adults in the 180 and they all hang out spread across the tank... doing massive daily WC's due to the overstocking, but they seem quite content, no aggression to speak of.

Jim

allan_mark76
03-08-2005, 09:06 PM
IF you do daily water changes, clean your filters and feed appropriately your ADULT discus will grow up and pair off appropriately. I'm not saying squish them into a bunch of 20-30gallons tanks, but a 50/60gallon tank should do absolutely fine.

Remember the key is daily water changes ! ! !

:antlers:

Sergey
03-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks Allan! I get the hygiene part of it pretty well. It's the 'fish psychology' :) part I'm interested in. One can imaging discus being big cichlids might go nuts and fight if cramped into too tight quarters.
So if 10 gallons/fish comes from the conclusion that that's the minimum volume in which it's possible to maintain clean water by daily 50% WC, that's one thing.
I'm wondering if they need more space just to get away from one another ;)

Regards,
Sergey.

Cosmo
03-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Sergey... mine get about 8.4 gallons per fish and seem perfectly happy :) Almost more contented than when there were half as many in the tank. Not that I'd recommend stocking this heavy on a continuing basis, but psychologically they almost seem to enjoy it :confused:

Jim

Northwestcoastdisc
03-09-2005, 03:06 AM
12 Full GROW adults discus in 100 gallon tank is fine and no problems. But The youngs to young adults I need to provided them to have lot of space and room let them to grow out so well.

Duncan.

ecrew
03-09-2005, 11:12 AM
I was thinking of putting 8 3-4" Discus in my 75E gal tank. Would this work? Our local lfs said we shouldn't put more than 6.

Thanks!

Carol_Roberts
03-09-2005, 12:45 PM
8 in a 75 is fine

ecrew
03-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks Carol!