PDA

View Full Version : I need Help ASAP!!

PaintballFan07
03-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Hello everyone I jsut shattered both of my Visitherm 300watt heaters while doing my w/c.I am very pissed off n worried at the same time. My question is should I buy 2 more Visitherm 300w or should i buy this 800w titanium heater from here = http://petsolutions.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_12516830_A_Titanium+Heaters_E_. Is there anything i should be worried about when using titanium heaters ( burning fish..etc) Please reply asap.

jdellman
03-08-2005, 07:29 PM
I am not an expert, but I have read that people recommend two heaters so if one fails, the other one is on. I also read that people like the "Stealth" heaters because they do not break, but I am not sure of the brand. Good luck.
Jim

Eddie
03-08-2005, 07:31 PM
How did you shatter them, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

funkyfish
03-08-2005, 07:31 PM
visatherm makes the stealth i got a half dozen of them

Cosmo
03-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Paintball,

Only problem I've had with titanium heaters is the fish seem to love to spawn on them :D They will also get destroyed though if you leave them on too long in a low water condition :D Ebo's and Stealths are both supposed to have auto shutoffs for those times you forget to unplug :) (I think Stealths are made by the same people that make the visitherm??.. not sure though)

Jim

Eddie
03-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Yes Cosmo, the stealths are made by visitherm. The ebo's do have a auto shut-off feature but I always just unplug my heaters when changing water. The Ebo's have 2 mm thickness glass as some others only have 1 mm thickness.

PaintballFan07
03-08-2005, 07:40 PM
How did you shatter them, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks I shattered my heaters by when i forgot to unplug them until the water was only covering half of the heaters. I have my heaters laying down horizontally so the water level was half way across it when i finally unplugged them. The heaters are or were 3" from the very bottom of the tank. When i started to scrapp the tanks walls i smelled something burning n new it was my heaters. So for sum dumbass reason i decided to splash them to cool them off n thats when i heard a kaboom n sqquiiishsh when the inside of the heaters were exposed n cooling off inside my tank. :( wat a tragedy.

Eddie
03-08-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Paint! I guess with the titanium heaters you still even have to unplug them when your changing water, from what I've heard. I guess they start to burn up or something (smell bad).

PaintballFan07
03-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Does anyone have experience with the titanium heater i posted a link to above . Is there any feed back on them. I am going towards the ebo's becuz i like the look more than the stealths. This time i may just have to order 3 heaters. 1 as a back up in case this ever happens to me again.

Eddie
03-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Sorry I don't have any info on the titanium ones your interested in but I do use the Ebo's. I have (2) 200 watt heaters and they are working really well. I think the 3 heater idea is good just in case of a break. I wouldn't really rely on the auto shut-off function. It just seems to risky. I'd just unplug them. One other thing is that the new ebo's read to not submerse below the water level line.

PaintballFan07
03-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Sorry I don't have any info on the titanium ones your interested in but I do use the Ebo's. I have (2) 200 watt heaters and they are working really well. I think the 3 heater idea is good just in case of a break. I wouldn't really rely on the auto shut-off function. It just seems to risky. I'd just unplug them. One other thing is that the new ebo's read to not submerse below the water level line. I heard about the Do Not Submerse thing on the Ebo's. But I thought most people submerse theirs dont they?

Eddie
03-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Yeah they do. I do sometimes when I'm going on vacation and my buddy does the WC's. It's a little less for him to worry about unplugging and plugging them back in. The new ones are just waiting for the UL as per the eheim rep.

PaintballFan07
03-08-2005, 08:00 PM
So Can the Ebo's be fully submerged even though It says it is NOT FULLY SUBMERGABLE? IF so i will go ahead n place my order today so i can have them by friday hopefully.

Eddie
03-08-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm not telling you that it's okay. I'm just saying that I do it sometimes and there are lots of others that are also. The rep said he submerges his also (2 years now). The thing is that there are some different parts inside of the new ebo's since eheim is making them and the UL needs to get approved. This is supposed to take a long LONG time. I would go for it since I obviously don't see a problem with it since I do fully submerge them at times. It's up to you. :)

PaintballFan07
03-08-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm not telling you that it's okay. I'm just saying that I do it sometimes and there are lots of others that are also. The rep said he submerges his also (2 years now). The thing is that there are some different parts inside of the new ebo's since eheim is making them and the UL needs to get approved. This is supposed to take a long LONG time. I would go for it since I obviously don't see a problem with it since I do fully submerge them at times. It's up to you. :) Thank you for your help bass. I really appreciate it. I just ordered 3 ebo's.

PaintballFan07
03-08-2005, 08:16 PM
I want to thank everyone that helped me. I really appreciated the advice. Keep up the good work

Eddie
03-08-2005, 08:20 PM
:thumbsup: Your welcome and by the way, I'm NOT a eheim rep. :) Good luck with your new heaters.

allan_mark76
03-08-2005, 08:55 PM
I would pick up a couple of titanium heaters and test them out yourself. I'm using the Via-Aqua titanium heaters that Jeff Young used to distribute. They work great, but within 6 months they will either crap out on you or overheat your tank. I just send out the bad ones back to the manufacturer. For myself if you leave them above water level they will not crack BUT they will be hot as hell ! ! ! Either way a heater shouldn't be dried out. You have to be conscious of your water level when you do a water change. Trust me I've done this several times with EBO's. All heaters are pretty much crap as some have their good points and lots have their bad points.

JMHO.

PaintballFan07
03-08-2005, 09:01 PM
I would pick up a couple of titanium heaters and test them out yourself. I'm using the Via-Aqua titanium heaters that Jeff Young used to distribute. They work great, but within 6 months they will either crap out on you or overheat your tank. I just send out the bad ones back to the manufacturer. For myself if you leave them above water level they will not crack BUT they will be hot as hell ! ! ! Either way a heater shouldn't be dried out. You have to be conscious of your water level when you do a water change. Trust me I've done this several times with EBO's. All heaters are pretty much crap as some have their good points and lots have their bad points.

JMHO.
I have a hard time paying attention to the water level sometimes when My eyes Are LOCKED onto this forum. But I ordered 3 ebo's n they will be here on friday. Untill then My friend is letting me borrow is ALL GLASS AQUARIUM 300W heater.