PDA

View Full Version : Is a chiller needed?

sidra
03-10-2005, 12:34 PM
I just saw something in a post about a chiller in a discus tank and it reminded me of a question I need to ask about temperature.

I live in a two story cottage and the upstairs (where my tanks are) gets VERY hot in the summer. I've only had the tanks a few months, so I don't know how hot the water will get when the room temp gets up into the high 90's sometimes during the day.

My landlord is a PIA about running the air conditioner all the time so I've always had it on a timer to come on a couple hours before I come home from work.

How will the constant changes in room temp affect my discus since the room will heat up during the day, then start to cool off when the AC comes on.

Should I consider putting a chiller in the tank and how will that work with the heater? I want to maintain a steady temp in the tank.

Sergey
03-10-2005, 01:03 PM
I would try thermo-insolating the tanks fist, with styro or reflectix, and see by how much that alone improves temp stability in the tank.

Regards,
Sergey.

Cosmo
03-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Sidra,

How big is your tank? Water is a great insulator in and of itself, and, the larger the tank the slower any outside environmental conditions will influence the water temp. If your room cools down at night, and/or when you have the a/c on, and then the room heats up during the day, the tank temp may actually vary very little over the course of the day if it's large enough ..

hth
Jim

sidra
03-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Jim,
Thanks for your input. My current tank is a 29 and I'm hoping to eventually have a pair to keep in there (if the discus gods smile on me) and everybody else will go in the new tank which will be a 65 or 75.

With what you said about a larger tank being less likely to have large temp variations, I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the 29. Maybe I'll end up moving that one downstairs. (kinda don't remember what my downstairs looks like...since I got my discus I spend all my time upstairs with my :fish: )

Speaking of my :fish: , they're callin' me to do their water change. Thanks again.

Kristen

Cosmo
03-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Sidra,

lol ... you probably talk to them too don't you ?? ( I do :) )

WC time :)

Jim

sidra
03-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Yup, I talk to them alright. I think it's okay until they start talking back to you.

I took the digital camera home from the office tonight and took my first pics. One of the babies was a real ham. I'll try to post them tomorrow.

Kristen

Cosmo
03-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Kristen... your's don't talk back to you :confused:

Must be a little shy, give em time..... they will :D :D

Looking forward to the pics :)

Jim