PDA

View Full Version : Making my own Medicated Food ??

troyclark
03-11-2005, 01:19 AM
I just did something and would like some opinions. A batch of my juveniles showed signs of intestinal parasites so I took a tablet of Jungle's Parasite Clear and put in in a jar with some water and tetra bits. I but an air tube in it to make sure it stayed stirred and let it soak for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes I poured some of the mixture into my juvenile tanks. They didn't like it right away but ate it anyway. Does this sound reasonable or am I wasting my time. My juveniles are in 55 gallon tanks so medicating the whole tank isn't very cost effective. Please give me some opinions. Thanks

simkey
03-11-2005, 04:13 AM
Always is best tretmant for internal parasits put medication in to the food.It's high effective and cheeper!

Carol_Roberts
03-11-2005, 06:10 PM
While many meds do work better if fed, Parasite Clear is made to be disolved in the tank and absorbed through the gills. I don't think I would try to feed it to the fish.

brewmaster15
03-11-2005, 06:21 PM
I agree with Carol. The prazi and metro in it would be okay..The acriflavin in it may be a bad thing to ingest.

-al

troyclark
03-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I fed some last night before I went to bed. I will see if anything bad happened while I was at work. What med would you suggest I load the food with to help with internal parasites ?? I would like to make some and feed all my discus once a week as a preventive. Thanks

Carol_Roberts
03-11-2005, 06:43 PM
I don't think you should feed medicated food every week. You can add metro and some worm meds to food. I use meds only if there is a specific problem