PDA

View Full Version : Well, it wasn't meant to be!

kaceyo
03-11-2005, 05:53 PM
So close I could taste it. It was the morning of day 3 for the wigglers, so I was on borrowed time allready. The breeder tank had been set up all night and the temp had held steady at 84F. When I looked in on them Mom had yet again moved them back to the sponge filter so I thought it was a done deal. I'd go do my morning ritual, come back and move the filter, wigglers and all, into the new tank. Then Mom and Dad to follow. Sometime during the 20 minutes between my first peek and my return everything had changed. One look told me all was not well. Every fish in the tank seemed to be in a free-for-all right next to the wigglers which were, by then, X-wigglers. Talk about bad timing. I spent the rest of the morning going over what I should and could have done, but didn't. So now the grieving parents are in a breeding tank of their own and I'm waiting for a repeat performance. Things were just going too-too well. A new pair on their 1st spawn gettng fertile eggs and raising them to day3 wigglers. None of the usual problems a new pair is lkely to have.
How long does it usualy take for a pair to settle down and get back to buisiness after being moved to a new tank ? I really hope it wasn't a fluke (no pun...). Can't wait. Watching them care for the little guys was just too cool.

Kacey

Carol_Roberts
03-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Hopefully just a couple of weeks - maybe even less

kaceyo
03-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks Carol,
I'll be loading them up with BW's and BH to make sure their ready.

KC

allan_mark76
03-11-2005, 06:57 PM
THink of it as a learning experience. I'm sure they will settle down a little and everything would be back to normal.

I would of waited a little longer myself to make sure the fry had some time to grow some before I moved them. THere is a possability the parents may might eat them due to the stress.

:antlers:

Discus_KC
03-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Kacey,

It's nothing but a lot of patience !!!! And then more patience !!!

Keep the faith !!!

Jack

sidra
03-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Sorry about your wigglers. That's a bummer. Hey, at least you know you can get that far!

Good luck.

kaceyo
03-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks Guys,
It is a learning experience. And now I know I have a real male/female pair thats fertile and capable of going beyond the egg laying stage. It deffinetly takes the pressure off of my other pairs,lol. I want to be pro-active guy when patience is the name of the game.
kacey

Cosmo
03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Hey KC, sorry they didn't make the move :( Like the others said though, the good news is you have a viable pair and in a short time they'll be making another batch of fry for you :) ;)

Hang in there buddy, only a matter of time :)

Jim

goldengatediscus
03-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey Kacey:
Reminds me of my day yesterday. My Snow White and White Butterfly laid eggs in the 55gal. There's only 2 female White Butterflys and a male Snow White in there. This is the 5th time they've laid, and the eggs have been fertile, but I don't have anything to show for it!

Anyway, I saw the eggs at 830am. I needed to take my husband to the airport at 930am, and I figured that I would screen the eggs after I got home from the airport. I came home, make a screen, went to the tank, and there were about 4 eggs left. x%@#, I was so mad at them!

Oh well, patience and timing! I feel for you!
Brigitte

Spices
03-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Wow, you came very very close. Don't worry, I agree with others, just lots of patience. Then there will be a heck of a lot of different worries then. :D
*Ang*

Giniel
03-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Brigitte,What did you use to make a screen out of?? Just curious as I need to make one also.
Debbie

goldengatediscus
03-12-2005, 03:30 AM
I made it out of "gutter guard" that I purchased from a hardware store.

I cut a piece to fit around the cone. Then I used plastic electrical ties (I think that's what they're called) to hold the mesh together at the top and bottom. Trim the tie after it's tied. After that, I took an airline hose suction cup, stuck it though the mesh, and pressed it against the cone to make sure it was snug. Make sure that the suction cup does not come off the mesh. I also trim off any sharp edges of the mesh. I'm sure that there are other ways of making an egg screen, but this works for me.
HTH.
Brigitte

http://photos8.flickr.com/6353340_fe5b73c62b_m.jpg

http://photos5.flickr.com/6353339_d8044fcecf_m.jpg

http://photos5.flickr.com/6353338_5449b0411f.jpg

http://photos3.flickr.com/6353341_8dd8276410_m.jpg