PDA

View Full Version : What is the white!

Tiptoptank
03-13-2005, 04:53 PM
I purchased acouple fish the other day that looked fine. TOday, couple weeks later, They are dark and not eating. They hover in the back and breath fast.
I see alittle extra slime coat on them and one of them looks like it's stomach has got some white barnical like substance, but only by his poop shoot and stomach. I am 2 weeks into prazing the fish when this happened so I know it isn't tape worm or flukes. Are these signs of hex? And, if not what eles could be doing this.

Barb Newell
03-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi, can you post a pic? Can you tell us more about your tank, bare bottom or gravel, what is your w/c regime?

I'd begin by doing some large water changes with aged water and make sure that the tank is very clean. Test for ammonia and nitrites.

Sounds like it may be hex, are they pooping white stringy stuff?

Barb

Tiptoptank
03-13-2005, 08:09 PM
The water parm are not the problem. These fish have not shown any white feces. One did but it was a tape worm and this was before the new fish were introdused.

20g L QT
Bare bone, spongefilter whisper 20, air stone

85F
still prazipro'ing

Carol_Roberts
03-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Dark and not eating could be anything from contipation to viral infection. You are doing daily water changes of 30 - 50%?

Tiptoptank
03-13-2005, 11:00 PM
I do 25% ever 2 days now because when I did 50% I had a higher fataly rate. My fish didn't like my tap water. SSo I do 25% every other day. The water chem is alway o-o-o across the board. My fish seem to do better with alittle less w/c's. I don't want to drop money on an R/O uint quite yet.

The not eating part isn't what is really worrying me. Its the white growing around the poop shoots that has really got me wondering what is going on inside the fish

Eddie
03-13-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure why your tap water would be killing your fish. Do you use aged de-chlorinated water for your WC's? Were you saying fatality rate?

jules
03-14-2005, 08:08 AM
Are you aging your water? Is it from a well?

Julie