PDA

View Full Version : Lights

David N
03-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Should the light in breeder tanks be kept on all the time or turned off. I've heard some keep a night light on near their breeders and some people turn off all lights at night. I 'd like to hear what everyone does in this regard?

Thanks,
David N

Carol_Roberts
03-13-2005, 09:29 PM
I keep a small lamp on 24/7. The fish do not startle as bad when the lights are turned on in the morning.

Northwestcoastdisc
03-13-2005, 09:53 PM
for me, I dont use light for my breeding tanks. The breeding tanks are dirctly to sun where is windows.

When I have babies discus on the parents. I would use light on for 24/7.

but bio load filters need to have a good quailty light helps make the water to keep clean.

hth

Duncan

Robin764
03-13-2005, 11:47 PM
I removed the hood light from my 20g and moved it about 1 and a half feet to the right of the tank. I keep it on all the time, and because I have another pair on the shelf above with eggs....this light acts as a night-light for them as well. It's not so harsh on the tank with fry this way, and the parents move behind the sponge when they wish to rest. (sponge filter is in middle of the tank)

Robin

delanco
04-02-2005, 01:07 AM
As soon as I see eggs, I leave the lights on 24/7. had a pair that ate the eggs. Left the lights on after that and no more problems. When you start getting "wrigglers" the parents can easily spot them when they fall, and put them back. My opinon only

177ichael
04-02-2005, 01:55 AM
I ordered blue LED lights online and bought a transformer from Radio Shack for about $15. The LED lights run about $30 for 30 lights. I soldered everything together with speaker wire and resistors. If you do a search for DIY moonlights through google, you should find a write up that someone posted a while ago. I use two timers to cycle the regular flourescent lights and LED lights. Most people use this type of lighting for Saltwater but I've found that Discus seem to like this lighting as well. I have them wired on all my tanks. You can epoxy the lights into place in the regular flourescent light fixture. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

hexed
04-02-2005, 02:53 AM
I use green miracle beam lights in my tanks. I have one shining on each breeding cone. They actually light up most of the tank ;)

I lower my water level about 2-3 inches when the eggs hatch before they go free swimming and leave the hood light on 24/7. My pair seem to be able to actually see the fry better when they are at the surface with the water level dropped (THANKS CAROL for that bit of info). I slowly raise the level as I do water changes.