PDA

View Full Version : Ionic Compression of Breeding Water?

onthetee
03-14-2005, 11:30 PM
I have a pair that lays every week, but I have gotten very few wigglers from them. I bought them as a breeding pair and I saw the babies they produced before. I currently use a 75% RO to 25% Tap water mixture in my breeding tanks. It gives water paramenters around 7.0 pH, 100 to 120 microsiemens, or about 60 to 70 ppm hardness. I have tried to add Methyl Blue and Formalin, but I will get a few wigglers, but most of the eggs still just turn white. This leads to me think that no matter what I do I'm going to have problems because of Ionic compression. Is this correct? What can I try to do??

Brett

Sergey
03-14-2005, 11:33 PM
That would probably be ionic composition, as in what ions and in what quantities are in the water :)

Regards,
Sergey.

onthetee
03-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Thanks Sergey. I'm sure your right. I'm just looking for any ideas? If I find out from water company that the ionic composition is not correct...is there anything that can be done?

Brett

aggie_67
03-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Does your ph hold steady?

onthetee
03-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes, the pH stays right around 7.0.

Brett

kaceyo
03-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Maybe he is only getting a few of the eggs fertilized. Sounds like the water is OK. Try turning the filter off during spawning to make sure the sperm isn't getting washed away too quickly. Or he may just not be a very potent male. These are a few of the things I've read about in preping for breeding.

onthetee
03-23-2005, 08:41 AM
I always have the filter turned off when they are laying eggs. I have since lowered the microsiemens down to 50 to 70. I also have have lowered the temp from 86 to 82. Thes are a few recommendations I received from other postings on other sites.

Brett

aquaticplantman
03-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Sounds like you're on the right track now. I was going to ask about the temperature - maybe even go down to 80 if need be. Be very careful about using too much RO. You need that tap water in there to buffer the pH. Without it, you'll likely have a pH crash which would be disasterous.

-Matt H.

aggie_67
03-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Would forget about "ionic compostion" as far as trying to figure out what your water has or does have. If you suspect something is wrong with your water go total RO with a mineral suppliment (Joe at www.enchanteddiscus.com has a formuls a lot of people use with sucess.)