PDA

View Full Version : How long should I keep the medication?

fish_maniac
03-15-2005, 02:19 AM
Hi,
I have red diamond female and she looks like she has a bloat:
Symptoms: Your discus will look bloated - like he swallowed a marble. There may be an indentation behind the bloated area as if he had been pinched by your thumb and forefinger.

So I started some epsom salt treatment for 2 days but not getting better. so I started the formalin treatment but she is not doing better. she started getting bigger and started head down and off balance.

I did some deworm a few weeks before this happen so I think she may have some other intestinal problem so I started some metro treatment. Once I started the metro treatment, I saw a lot of White, stringy, muscus-like feces coming out from from the anus. after 5 days of metro, her stomach become smaller but she still head down. Her stomach is still a little bloated.

How long should I continue on the metro treatment? SHould I stop for a few days and watch?

Thank you for your help.

Kam

discusrama
03-16-2005, 09:49 AM
HI!

I THINK IT COULD THAT SHE HAS HAD TOO MUCH OF MEDICATION.
FORMALIN DOES THAT SOME TIMES.
TRY DOING A 30-50% WATER CHANGE, 86-90 TEMPERATURE, NO FEEDING FOR A DAY AND START HER ON A LITTLE BLOOD WORM.

I HOPE IT GETS OK SOON.

RAMA :bandana:

fish_maniac
03-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi Rama,
Thanks, I will stop the metro and let her rest for a little bit. The temperture is already at 90 and I will keep it there for another week. I know this is a difficult problem to fix. Thanks.

Kam

Eddie
03-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Hello FM,
I'm not speaking from experience so I will warn you that I'm no expert but I've read instances where individuals have treated thier fish for worms and the worms ended up dying inside the stomaches. These dead worms in turn created and infection inside the fishes stomache and caused bloating. Here is a link if you think it might help. Sometimes it's hard to know exaclty what is wrong when a fish is bloating. I lost a discus from bloat. I just kept treating with epson salt with no improvement and in the end I think it was an internal infection. :(

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?p=208248#post208248

Cosmo
03-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Hi Kam,

I had exactly the experience Basshead mentioned. After de-worming a couple of the fish started to look a little bloated so I added both epson and regular salt, dropped the temp to about 84, and treated with Maracyn1 and 2 for 5 days.. Was a batch of 6 juveniles in the tank and I lost one of them.. the runty one of course :(

Kanamycin is better but I didn't have any and didn't want to wait for it.. Maracyn's available just about everywhere so I went with that.

These meds are good because they're absorbed through the gills and get inside where the infection is. Hi temps with a bacterial infection could cause the infection to get worse rather than better :(

There are some good articles in the library, and the stickys that might help.

Basshead's link is an excellent place to start :)

best of luck.. hope she makes it :)

Jim

discusrama
03-18-2005, 06:15 AM
Hi FM,

How is the fish? I am trying to get some information on this from my friend who is a professor at the Central Institute of Fisheries. Will send u same once he gets back to me.

Rama :bandana:

fish_maniac
03-19-2005, 12:43 AM
Basshead, Jim and Rama,
Thank you for your sggestion. I did some more reading and I think it is exactly what my problem is. She is doing mostly the same with head down and tail up but she chase a smaller fish when I feed some BW. She is not eating yet but she can swim normal for a short time. I stopped the metro for 2 days and I pickup some Kanamycin today. I will start the Kanamycin treatment in 2 days so that she can have a rest. I will keep you posted on her process. I hope she can come around.

Thanks again for all your help.

Kam