PDA

View Full Version : Spookie fish

mizzoumed02
03-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Hey guys, I have 8 3-6" discus in a Planted tank, They have all been great, eating good, when you come up to the tank, they meet you at the top, 3 of them will even eat out of your hands. For about the last week, when you come up to the tank, they will come up to the top like always, but then when you put the food in they all scatter, and splash water all over the place. Then they will come back and start eating, but then it's like the falling food spooks them, they all scatter again. I'm not sure what the problem is. This is a 135gal Planted tank, look in the show tank section to see pics. Water is changed 50% twice a week. Water paramiters are Ph 7.0, Gh3, Kh4.5, Amonina 0, Nitrites 0, Temp 88. The only think that I can think that might be diferent is that I had then at 92temp for the first 3 months that I had them just to make sure that they were going to do fine in the planted tank and not get sick. There has been no signs of anytype of external problems and no signs of any internal problems. I have slowly dropped that to 88 over the last month. their diet consist of BW,BH,BS,Colo bits, and Flake. Anyone have any advise??

Jeff in NC
03-15-2005, 02:28 PM
In my tanks its one fish that jumps then spooks the others then they jump and get me wet.

sidra
03-15-2005, 03:40 PM
I was also wondering what would all of a sudden make them jumpy. Mine are very comfortable. They even go nose-to-nose with my cat through the glass. The eat out of my hands and brush up against my hands while I'm cleaning the tank.
Last night was very strange though. I came home and they were not resting in their usual spots. They were all lined up behind a piece of shale. Even after the light was on for a while they wouldn't come out. They wouldn't even eat and they are usually very good eaters.

I did a 30% w/c and added some salt and this morning they were their friendly little starving selves.

I don't get it. Maybe they were mad at me for missing their water change and dinner the evening before because I wasn't home. PRIMA DONNA'S!!!!!

Barb Newell
03-19-2005, 10:12 PM
They get spooky/skittish if there is ammonia or nitrites in the tank.

Barb