PDA

View Full Version : Breeder going out of business

sidra
03-16-2005, 01:46 PM
I have good news and I have bad news.

I found a local breeder on Long Island (half hour from me) and I have heard very good things about him.

The bad news is, he is retiring.

But the good news is I have an appointment to go over to his hatchery Sunday and see what he has. He is selling all of his discus including pairs and babies and all of his tanks and equipment.

I could be in trouble here..........

Northwestcoastdisc
03-16-2005, 01:56 PM
hi Kristen,

You can go and check out if they have speical sale for discus. Rememeber put new discus in QT. I hope you will find the right taste type of discus in ur tank.

Good luck

Duncan

dmacch
03-16-2005, 02:01 PM
I bought fish from him a month and a half ago. He has/had some beautiful candy aplle red scribbles and some nice white dragons. I was alittle dissapointed in his overall selection, especially the Marlboro reds. Let me know what you think when you get back. Good luck.

Dom

sidra
03-16-2005, 02:06 PM
I'll let you guys know.

I'll only buy if I see something that screams "TAKE ME HOME WITH YOU" because I'm saving room for a pair of violet reflections from Cary.

Since I'm getting a new tank next month I want to see what he has for equipment too.

Are you in this area Dom?

Kristen

dmacch
03-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Yes I live on L.I. in Nassau county.

DISCUS USA
03-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Hi guys,,is it Gil Curtain thats calling it quits?.. if not who then Mark Rubinow?

Hector NYC

Cosmo
03-16-2005, 10:59 PM
I'll only buy if I see something that screams "TAKE ME HOME WITH YOU"
Kristen

LOL :D

brewmaster15
03-17-2005, 02:32 AM
I'd be interested to Know as well. There aren't too many hatcheries in the Northeast anymore.

-al

fishfarm
03-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Mark's not a breeder but an importer and he likes goign to Asia to much to call it quits, What about Frank? Ken

fshngal
03-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Ken,

Frank moved to Wisconsin last year.

Mary

bmrin1
03-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Frank's a cheese head now.:block:

DISCUS USA
03-17-2005, 02:37 PM
So whos throwing in the towel??? I know it s Gil,,i could call him and find out right now but rather not call if not buying.. Dont leave us hanging Sidra who is it who is it ?? :) :)

fshngal
03-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Yes, I think he is a cheesehead now and his discus and breeding are missed.

He had some of the most beautiful breeding stock and fry I have seen. Plus his tanks where just gorgeous.

Maybe we will hear from him, it would be a very nice surprise.

Mary

DISCUS USA
03-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Ken hi,,Mark from Nassau discus breeds alittle,,he had handfull pairs going at his place when i went alittle over 2 years ago.. but Mark not old old man yet so cant see him retiring for a many more years.

sidra
03-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi Hector
Sorry, I didn't see your post from yesterday asking if it's Gil. Yes, it is. I didn't know there was a breeder so close to me until I found out he's retiring from the discus hobby.

He told me he promised his wife when she retired he'd call it quits with the discus so they could travel. Well, she retired so he's selling everything.

I'm going over there Sunday. Since you know him, what can I expect to see?

Kristen

DISCUS USA
03-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Aw man thats so sad,,Gil is such nice guy.. but he told me that same thing about 2 years ago that he was going to retire in few years,,guess his time is finally up.. :(

Sidra if you have a camera why dont you take a bunch of pics for us to see and remember his place by..it is always nice to go visit Gil at his fish room..

Gil has 3 walls of tanks all discus and in middle of that room thes another isle of tanks with 2 sides to it.. you should expect to see lots lots different strain babies,1,2,3 inch discus then rest adults,semi adults both kept in large community tanks for mating purposes,, then the breeding tanks that sit on back of room wall on top .. its a very professional setup..

Tell Gil i said hi and i still think when it comes to New York he is the REAL DEAL in discus by far.

HTH
Hector NYC

sidra
03-17-2005, 03:52 PM
FISH! MAN! FISH! What types of discus does he breed? What's his "specialty"? Any recommendations? (HA, this coming from me who says I'm just going to look and maybe I'll buy a couple babies if they call my name loud enough)

I wish I owned a house instead of renting........I'd buy a bunch of his tanks and breeding pairs and go crazy!

I will ask him if it's ok if I take some pics. If he says OK I will do so (I've got to hi-jack the digital camera from my office for the weekend).

I'm excited about seeing such a set-up but disappointed that he won't be there any more.

I'll report back on my field trip.

DISCUS USA
03-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Sidra,,Gil is strictly Discus,, :)

sidra
03-17-2005, 05:00 PM
I knowwww....but what strains of discus. Someone said he had some nice red scribbles. I was just wondering if there's anything extra special he's known for that I should look for...what does he breed that is particularly nice that you can think of.

Thanks.

DISCUS USA
03-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Sidraaaa... :) :) when i went there while ago Gil had these strain fry :;; GermanTurks,Blue Diamonds,Marlboro Reds,Orange Pandas,Red Pandas,angel blue diamonds,green mambas and few others.. i dont know about red scribbles its been a long time but you never know he might have a batch up and ready for sale now... Dont forget those pics if you can sneak that camera from your job :)

DISCUS USA
03-17-2005, 08:04 PM
BTW; like with any breeder all strain discus i listed above may and may not be available any given time,,best to call ahead of time to see what available.Have fun on Sunday.

DISCUS USA
03-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Hey Sidra how was it at Gils today?Did ya go?Pics Pics Pics :)

sidra
03-20-2005, 06:22 PM
I DID! I DID? I BOUGHT BABIES! They're acclimating as I type.

See post "1st trip to breeder-Six new babies in my tank".

Gil is such a nice guy and willing to share his knowledge. I was very impressed with his fish. Some of those pairs were absolutely huge.

I'm really bummed he's retiring. What a great place to have locally.

He doesn't allow anyone to take photos as he has twice had people photograph is fish and then use those photos to advertise their own fish on the internet.

However, will take pics of the babies tonight when they are settled in. The docking station is at the office so tommorow I will download the pics to my laptop and post them tomorrow night.

Kristen