PDA

View Full Version : around 200 wigglers

kaceyo
03-16-2005, 05:01 PM
So far things are going even better than the first time. There are easily 200 of the little buggers on their 2nd day of wiggling (eggs were layed Sunday) and alls well. Probably no more than 5 or 10 eggs were fungused during the egg stage. Is that any indication of how likely the fry are to survive the free swimming and attached stages? I didn't need to use any Meth. Blue or Formalin either. The female will literaly sit right in front of the group and not take her eyes off them for hours at a time unless I come by with food. And then Dad takes over for her. I've been doing small (10%ish) WC's and feeding 3 very small amounts a day. There is some stuff starting to accumulate around the base of the sponge filter but I'm afraid to remove it as the wigglers were moved to the sponge last night. If there is anything I'm forgeting or should/shouldn't be doing please let me know.
Thanx,
Kacey

jeep
03-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Sounds like you may have a good pair! Congrats!!!

The only thing I could suggest is to maintain very clean water conditions and make sure your water has a good amount of calcium. Feed the parents a clean food so you don't have a bacteria spike. Almost every fry I've lost (tons) has been due to water conditions...

Howie_W
03-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Kacey that's great news! :)

As Brian said, just do whatever you can to keep the tank as clean as possible.

Howie

kaceyo
03-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks Jeep and Howie,
I've been doing about a 20% to 25% WC in the evening. Should I be doing larger or more frequent WC's? I don't want to stress the parents or fry with to much activity etc. And should I be using my usual RO Right treated (growout) water allready. If not, when should I increase the TDS for the fry?
Kacey

funkyfish
03-17-2005, 12:13 AM
congrats on the fry i hope on day i will be asking the same thing
good luck

Carol_Roberts
03-19-2005, 07:49 PM
How are they doing now?

kaceyo
03-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi Carol,
Thanks for your interest in my discus babies. There are only about 20 left. The parents both took excellent care of them all the way through untill it came time for them to attach to Ma & Pa. They kept flicking the fry off when they tried to attach as if they didn't like the feeling. At first the parents kept trying to put them back on the sponge filter. I put a light at the other end of the tank to lure the fry away from the filter which worked to some degree but the parents weren't cooperating. I think if these few don't make it the parents will have to learn to accept the fry attaching. They are such great parents in all other aspects I cant imagine it willtake them long. What do you think?
Thanx,
Kacey

Carol_Roberts
03-20-2005, 01:18 AM
I think they just need a little more practice too. :)