PDA

View Full Version : My discus is making a strange noise!

crazy4discus
03-18-2005, 12:01 AM
just earlier i heard some strange noises coming from one of my fish tank so i went to the tank and it was the 30gal qt tank that i got setup for my adult male discus. He was making a very loud noise and one of his gills is open very wider then it should be thats the only thing that i notice thats different from him. Besides the gill everything esle with him looks fine so i don't know what is wrong with my fish and is looking for anyone here on board ever heard of such a thing and how can i cure it? I do 50 percent w/c everyday for him and he is in the tank all alone he was fine intil today when i saw him made those strange noise. I dont think its normal since one of his gill is open very wide and i would like to have his gills back to being normal. Any help here is very appreciated guys he is a very nice fish. When he makes the noise his mouth opens very big and he looks like hes struggling to try and do somthing but i just dont know what.

brewmaster15
03-18-2005, 08:11 AM
David,
I have heard discus "pop" their jaws occasionally, sometimes associated with a shake of then head as if they are trying to dislodge something. The Gill wide open might indicate a parasite or irritant of some sort. If Nothing physically stands out there, I would
guess maybe a parasite(s). I think what I would do is Net the fish and place in a hospitol tank with good aeration and then try Formalin per the bottles instructions. See if that helps.... if not you might want to try something a little more aggressive like clout or maybe even a salt dip.

hth,
al
drop me an IM if you need help with the above.

crazy4discus
03-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info Brew his gill isn't all the way wide open but its wider then it should be. Theres no signs of sickness in him and he is a new fish i only got for 2 weeks and he is all by himself in a qt tank. So i should try formalin first? Then go from there?