PDA

View Full Version : Discus pair eating fry, every time

discusrama
03-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Amongst all my pairs of discus, there is this one pair of blood pigeons who seem to savour their fry.

They lay the eggs, tend to them, take care of the wrigglers and then next day they eat them. This has been happening for the last six seven times. I have tried pairing them with other mates but to no avail as they get very aggressive.

Have to put them back and they start all over again.

temperature - 86
pH 6.2 - 6.8
Tank cleaned for 10% changeout twice in the day.
Feed : Beefheart mix

Anyadvise on how to get them to take care of the babies??? Or else i may have to give them away.

Rama :bandana:

ShinShin
03-18-2005, 12:37 PM
I have had them eat eggs and wigglers. For some pairs, covering the eggs with mesh seems to work. The free swimmers leave the cone and attach to the parents. However, I've had some pairs blow the wigglers off the cone from behind the mesh and eat them. So, maybe that'll work for you. Maybe not. I would at least give it a shot.

aggie_67
03-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Once they become wigglers I would remove the female and lower the water level to just the height of the discus. This tends to slow mine down and also makes it easier for fry to find dad.

discusrama
03-19-2005, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the info.

I have separated them. Am travelling to Goa and will put them back once i come back. This is the only pair giving me problems. All the other pairs take care of the fry.

Rama :bandana:

jeep
03-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Is it both parents? You may try removing the female...