PDA

View Full Version : what are some begginner discus

chchchuck
03-20-2005, 11:00 AM
what are some good begginner discus strains?
-chuck

funkyfish
03-20-2005, 12:18 PM
the cheaper one's jmo

sidra
03-20-2005, 01:36 PM
My advice is to buy discus that are at least 3 inches. They are going to be a little more expensive. You don't have to buy fancy expensive strains, just spend the money to buy larger, more established discus. You can get a 3 to 3 1/2 inch cobalt or turquoise at a local fish store pretty reasonable. (Make sure the tank they come from is clean and the fish are healthy and don't look stressed.)

Babies are very hard as they are more susceptible to illness and require even more water changes and tank cleaning than older fish.

I bought two babies (one about an inch and a half and the other almost two inches). They were my first discus. I had experience with your basic tropicals, but discus require alot more care and specific water conditions as I have learned. I spent $22.50 on these babies and have spent probably just as much as the fish cost on medications, etc.

Also, buy tank-raised discus, not wilds as they are harder.

Good luck.

Kristen

Carol_Roberts
03-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Pigeons and turquoise are inexpensive. Most important is their health to begin with. Your best bet is to buy from a breeder or hobbyist near you.

Greg Richardson
03-21-2005, 01:25 AM
I'd do a search for a breeder in your area. Or ask here.
Try to stay away from the LFS unless there is no breeders around you and you can't afford shipping costs right now.
LFS rarely take care of their discus the way they should.
Why start out with two strikes against you?

sidra
03-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to advocate local fish stores over breeders. Breeders are the best way to go. I got six babies from a local breeder yesterday and they are awesome.

I guess I was only taking my own situation into consideration...when I first started with discus I didn't know how I'd do and they didn't have to be exceptional fish so I got my first ones from the lfs. Two of my four fish from lfs have turned out really nice and the other two are ok (but I love 'em all).

But yes, after seeing and purchasing fish from a breeder and reading Carol and Greg's replies. Besides, if you can go to a reputable breeder's hatchery, it is well worth the trip for the experience as well as quality fish.

Cosmo
03-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Chuck,

Welcome to Simply :wave:

Starting out with healthy fish is of the utmost importance. It is however, also very important to be sure you are prepared to care for them in such a manner that will keep them healthy. Regardless of the cost of the individual fish, they are still living creatures that require propper care.

There is a lot of excellent reading material on the forum, and, many knowledgeable people happy to help you along the way. If you find some advise confusing or contradicting.. post questions, lots of them if you need to... we don't mind :)

Before you buy you should be fluent in the basics of caring for Discus, and have your tank fully cycled before they arrive. This will increase your chances of success, and your enjoyment of the hobby.

Beware.. Discus are highly addictive :D

Good Luck :)
Jim