PDA

View Full Version : Tank buddies

mattm025
03-21-2005, 04:50 AM
Just wondering what kind of tank buddies do you have out there for your discus. I know there's neon tetras and angel fish but, what other fish do you have? I recently just bought 5 discus and put them in a tank with a catfish I've had for a year and a half and just found out the name a few hours ago! It's called a raphael catfish also know as Platydoras costatus. Was just doing a little research on them and it seems they can be in water from 78-89 F! I think it was just my luck that this catfish could handle the higher temperatures!

Enough about my fish, list some of your tank buddies!

jules
03-21-2005, 07:07 AM
Black neon tetras and oto cats. The cats clean the tank bottom very well.

mench
03-21-2005, 09:22 AM
I have just discus and bushynose plecos.I used to use oto cats,but as the grew they started attaching to the sides of the discus ,so they went...IMO angels and discus are a no-no..Angels can carry nasty things that won't affect them but will hurt the discus,I am not just saying this.I used to have angels with discus,but after losing a few tanks of discus I learned.Do what ya want .it is just what I think.

Mench

dirk50merc
03-21-2005, 11:44 AM
I just added my bushy nose pleco that's all i'm currently keeping with my Discus.
Corry cats, neon tetras, congo tetras, and high fin whales I have keep all these fish succesfully in Discus tanks.

Food for thought,
Dirk

kjmillerfw
03-21-2005, 12:15 PM
I have clown loaches in with my larger discus. I've found they can handle the higher temps and are an excellent clean up crew. They can be a little active at night, but they don't seem to bother my Discus at all. However, I have several caves for them and I think that keeps them happy since my tank is BB.

Kathy