PDA

View Full Version : Why is the fin always torn

magic1980
03-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi, why is my discus fin always torn.
For example, when i just buy them as juv, it is ok.

But after some time, when it gets bigger, bout 3 - 4 inch,
then the soft fin starts to have this zig zag torn...

the area is like the pic shown...

y?
anything i can do to prevent?

everytime, i had to cut and let it regenerate.
but after some time, the fin will starts to tear again.
it keeps repeating.

pls help.

Carol_Roberts
03-21-2005, 05:50 PM
I can't see what you are tlking about. IS it only the one fish or all fish in the tank?

magic1980
03-21-2005, 10:24 PM
hi carol.
that pic i attach got no torn,
cos i already trim it.
i just wanna show that it is this part of the soft fin that is always torn.
actually, the bottom soft fin also will tear, and looks like zig zag.

not only one fish.
its the whole batch.

so i was thinking is it the water parameter.

thks.

Carol_Roberts
03-22-2005, 08:11 PM
If all the fish is could be water or maybe nutritional deficency . . .

simkey
03-22-2005, 09:24 PM
When you do WC you must reduce Ph to be the same +-0.5 as in aquarium,if not you may burn the fins of your fishes.

magic1980
03-23-2005, 12:50 AM
If all the fish is could be water or maybe nutritional deficency . . .

hi carol,
do u all put the coral rings in the water?
cos i heard that it somehow will help in maintaining the pH.
or what else u all put as filter besides sponge filter?

I am living in Singapore.
and so far, the water quality is good.
I never treat the water, other than adding anti chlorine during water change.

tlum
03-23-2005, 06:51 PM
I did some research on this topic as some of my fish, both local (Minnesota) breed and imported, had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. There was some discussion in this forum (or the other forum) that it might due to use of carbon or water quality (from Jeff). However, I think it is not related to water quality or use of carbon as the problem appeared in some fish but not others, in the same tank, same spawn, and same strain of discus. More likely I think it is due to nutritional deficency due to parasites. I dewormed my fish several times over the last two months and the fish are recovering after deworming.

HTH.

TerryL

magic1980
04-06-2005, 12:20 PM
another pic of the broken fin.
pic is a bit small and not obvious.
but if see carefully, can see the broken fin.

its at the bottom fin, nearer to the tail...

pls advise.

jimmyhat
04-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Looks like possible water conditions? Bacterial mostly if the fins are all wonky..

bacteria probs try epsom salt baths first see what happens 2-3 times a day..
You will see something in a day or so.. Then react to that ;)

RyanH
04-24-2005, 01:37 AM
Looks like possible water conditions? Bacterial mostly if the fins are all wonky..

bacteria probs try epsom salt baths first see what happens 2-3 times a day..
You will see something in a day or so.. Then react to that ;)

Has anyone else ever heard of using epsom salt for fin rot? I've used it for bloat issues but this is a new one to me. :confused:

Carol_Roberts
04-24-2005, 12:12 PM
I wonder if he has confused regular salt with epsom salt?

CARY_GLdiscus
04-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Its poor water Quality IME

High Toxins Mixed with High Ph water that is turned over to fast not allowing the Ph to Fall. Most of the time Drips/ water changes that are ran through carbon blocks And or Ro drips mixed with tap drips Combined with high Bio loads will cause this.

I have even seen this happen with waste R/O water changes/ Drips. Even if Your pumping 1/2 gal every hour it will still lock Your Ph in at what ever comes out of Your tap! Well mine anyway's!

Lets say out of the tap Your ph is at 7.5 but after aeration it drops to 7.0 well if a drip is added to the system the ph is never allowed to fall even AT A 1/2 gal DRIP every HOUR. HOWEVER! a drip system or carbon blocks are not always involved when this happens so IMO other things Like temp,Diet,+ Par meters also play a key role.

IME the fish begins to show jagged fins like a steak knife. Soon after they begin to split and tare looking now more shreaded. As the discus grows bigger this only gets worst! however if the Discus is trimmed. only cutting away the damaged soft rays that are destroyed and not cutting into the hard rays the discus can be fixed if conditions are improved allowing the fins to grow back normal.

Also lets not forget in some cases it can be caused buy genetics or damage at a young age! Its really hard to say what Your case may be! And as always not all fish from one tank may display this just the same during a chlorine positing not all will die.

hth
Cary Gld

jimmyhat
04-24-2005, 03:49 PM
I have no idea the differance between salt vs epsom salts but im hooked on epsom salts they work wonders for my now healthy discus that were really dark black and covered in white spots/ slime coating hanging off in clumps / fins clamped & hiding in corners laying on sides... Thus if it works try it. I did massive water changes along with the out of the tank epsom salt baths.. Plus upped the heat to 93F for a week its back down to 88-89F very low ph and they are playing off each other. I think ones more mature than the other for sure.

My reason for bad water quality form a 65gall was adding plants into an equation. They cannot deal with heat & melt/rot. Also my gf wanted the added gravel look so i went a bigger stone [for the first time ever] and its really more hard work to do changes because of the filth that gets mixed in the gravel.. I dislike it. Im setting up another tank to be destine for discus only nothing but root material only.. I cannot deal with the massive water changes daily for a cool looking tank... The fish are cool enough lookin..

jimmyhat
04-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Hey buddy just to be sure you don't med the tank up before hand i was just watching mine and the little one is on the pecking order of the bottom of course/ I have noted the last few feeds the bigger has been chasing and nipping the rear fins. Note my little ones fins are starting to look this way now due to the large a$$ being a Stupid male a$$ :confused: Gotta watch them more the larger one will hog the food and do anything to keep anything from getting near.

More problems