PDA

View Full Version : Whaddaya think???

pseudoblond
03-21-2005, 01:44 PM
"The "Black Ghost Knife" fish is a 'spectacular Discus tank mate, not only is it attractive and interesting it also provides a beneficial service to the Discus... The Discus will seek out this fish to have it carefully remove parasites from it's slime coating.. [WARNING:..DO NOT PLACE THESE IN SPAWNING TANK.. they will eat newborn/tiny fry also.]...... They are VERY beneficial to the Discus tank and enjoy the same conditions/paramiters and foods that Discus do..."

I read this on a fish site...is it true? Ghost knifes are good tankmates for discus??? Or is this not true...

Robin764
03-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Saw the same post on ebay or aquabid....The guy is just trying to sell his fish....Not to say that they wouldn't be ok with your discus, but with ANY tank-mates, there will be pros and cons. Do your research first, and if you decide to buy, then make sure you QT. I do not know what diseases may be transferred between the two species, so I'd definately be doing some google searches! lol

Robin

ShinShin
03-21-2005, 03:04 PM
It's total BS.

Don_Lee
03-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Never heard that one before, and I would really doubt if it is true.....

tpl*co
03-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Bought some discus from the guy who says this, and he told me that they do too (without him trying to sell me any), but I don't know if I believe it either. (Plus knife fishes get HUGE!) They are also sensitive to certain medications.

oodi
03-21-2005, 04:19 PM
To quote the old adage... "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is!"

Judi

:)

PaintballFan07
03-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Although BGK's like the same foods as discus, I do not believe they benefit discus the way the seller is saying. Also the water temp that our discus loves is to high for BGK's. The seller is just trying to sell his fish as someone has stated earlier.

Dave_S
03-22-2005, 02:07 AM
I had a BGK in my planted discus tank for abut 2 years. They are neat fish to watch and I never regretted getting it. But I just started-up a new 80G and decided not to get another one. They are very hipper fish at feeding and pounce on the food. Never saw any aggression between it and the discus. Saw one at the LFS that looked 16-20” so they do get big. Remove parasites? I’ll pass on that one.

Neil1_2
03-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Black Ghosts are the most succeptible to White spots (or one of the most) they often get ich and transfer them to discus!!! so a temp of 29-30 is a must!! other than those i havent faced any problems keeping knifes wit discus but i'd rather not.