PDA

View Full Version : Getting Worried

agave60
03-21-2005, 07:48 PM
After two weeks at home only one of my six discus is eating. I'm doing (65gal tank) 50% water changes three times a week; ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate 2.5, GH 60, KH 80, pH 7.2. Temp 88.
I've tried BH and dried food, but nothing seems to get these guys to eat. They act very skitish when I approach the tank, but swim happily around when alone.
How much longer will it be before they start starving? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Carlos

Barb Newell
03-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Hi. Are they new fish? Did you get them 2 weeks ago? What were they eating? How big are they?

Barb

agave60
03-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Barb,

They are about four months old and I've had them for two weeks. The breeder was feeding them the same BH and dried food I'm feeding. They are about 5" head to tail. Hopefully this helps.

Barb Newell
03-21-2005, 09:05 PM
I does take a bit of time for them to adjust. Have you seen any white poop which would indicate hex? Any signs of illness, dark in colour, any cloudy fins/ tails?

Maybe try different foods like frozen Hikari bloodworms or live blackworms if you can get them.

Barb

sidra
03-21-2005, 09:30 PM
I had trouble getting new fish to eat as well. The only two things I could get them to eat were Hikari Bloodworms and live blackworms. I have now gradually gotten two of them to eat flakes and three of them to eat beefheart. That last one is the smallest of the four and still holding out for the bloodworms and blackworms.

If you can get even a couple to start eating the others may follow out of competitiveness/jealousy.

Also, do you wait to feed them until after the tank lights have been on for at least half an hour? I find that my fish will not eat until they've "woken up". I guess they're not "morning fish".

agave60
03-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Barb,
I don't see anything out of the norm, their color is vibrant and seem to be swimming around just fine.

Sidra,
I don't feed until I get home from work, but during the weekend I do wait a while before feeding.

I will try to get some Hikari bloodworms after work, hopefully that will wake up their appetite.

Thanks.

funkyfish
03-22-2005, 01:46 AM
i had a few do the same thing about a year ago and i heared about black worms and found a place that sold and they ate them the first time i put them in the tank maybe they will help u lik they helped me
good luck

agave60
03-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Guys,
I bought some black worms from my LFS today. I got home, put some in the tank and sure enough two of the ones that weren't eating chowed them down. I still have three that are not eating and one of those is now looking a little dark and hiding in the corner. I'm thinking about treating with Metronidazole. Do you think there will be any harm to the healthy ones by doing so?

DannyB.
03-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Guys,
I bought some black worms from my LFS today. I got home, put some in the tank and sure enough two of the ones that weren't eating chowed them down. I still have three that are not eating and one of those is now looking a little dark and hiding in the corner. I'm thinking about treating with Metronidazole. Do you think there will be any harm to the healthy ones by doing so?Have you try add salt to the tank and soak bloodworm in garlic for 15 minute b4 feed them , and lower your ph to 6.4 n 6.8 by using discus buffer 6.4 - 6.8

funkyfish
03-23-2005, 12:23 AM
have u seen any white stringy poo? i don't think metro will heart the heathy one's but i would try salt before any meds 1-2 table spoons per 10 gal and see if they improve. was the tank cycled before u put the fish in it ???

agave60
03-23-2005, 07:26 AM
The tank was cycled (fishless cycle), but I haven't added any salt. I'll add some today.

About the stringy poop. During my water changes it seems there is always two or three (not anymore than that) white stringy things floating around that I siphon out. I didn't think anything of it, because I have never seen anything hanging from the discus, but there is a possiblity that my filters are sucking it up before I get to see it.

What do you think?

Howie_W
03-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi Carlos,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your new fish.

Your first defense is to make sure the tank is clean, and getting a fresh supply of water. Check your filters to make sure they are clean and not clogged with any uneaten food. Step-up to 50% daily water changes.

Are you using aged water, or straight from tap to tank?

Regarding medications: Salt is not a medication and should not be used as such. The Discus feces should be dark in color, and not white and stringy; if this is the case, the fish may have internal parasites.

Regarding Metronidazole; It is a safe medication to use, but with several things to keep in mind when using this treatment. 1. You will be raising tank temp. to aprox. 92F...make sure the fish get plenty of O2 at the higher temp. Using a Hydro Sponge is a good way to insure this. 2. In order to be effective, the metronidazole needs to be administed every 8 hrs (400-500 mg. per 10 gallons). 3. Feed sparingly.

HTH

Howie

agave60
03-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Howie,
Thanks for the reply and advice.

I started off doing 30% water changes three times a week, I am now doing 50% every other day. I'm planning on setting up a better system to do my water changes because right now the 5 gallon bucket is making it very time consuming; at which point I will start the daily 50% changes. The new water is always aerated and heated for 24 hours.

Just fed them some black worms and I'm happy to report that I am down to two that won't eat. The remainding two will just look at the worms but won't eat.

The blue turq that was looking a little dark and hiding in a corner is now swimming around with the rest of the bunch.

I'm gona hold off on the salt or meds for now.

Well hopefully things get better from here. I am off to do a water change.

Thanks,
Carlos