PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this?

tag
03-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Hi Everyone,

Ok, I have this "stuff" growing in my aging water. I was using 2, 50 gallon rubbermaid containers to age, aerate and heat my water before water changes but they both sprung a leak and so I've been using another 125 gallon aquarium (brand new) as an aging tank and pumping from there to my 125 gallon with fish. I'm currently filtering our tap water through carbon and sediment filters because of water issues and conditioning with prime. I noticed yesterday that wafting around in the aging tank was this kind of slime??? It's more or less clear, alittle milky in colour, no fuzz, no fur, you can hold it in your hand and it takes a abit for it to seep through your fingers if you open them. It feels alittle gritty. It looks like sheets of translucent cotton and is currently uncasing a couple of the power chords from powerheads etc in the tank.Almost looks like a tubing surrounding the chords.

Any ideas of what this could be? I only just noticed it but I'm thinking I'd best empty the tank, clean it down and start over. In the meantime the fish will be without a wc for a day or two.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and take care

Tina

Greg Richardson
03-22-2005, 03:04 AM
Hi Tina. Can't help you with what it is but I was wondering when you mentioned rubbermaid containers did you buy the ones that say Brute on them?
Below Rubbermaid it says commercial strength.

I looked at the cheaper rubbermaids but glad I spent the moneuy on the thicker sturdier ones. I feel confident having them.

Tony_S
03-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Any ideas of what this could be?
Basically....its a massive bacterial culture. Completely harmless IME. Empty the storage tank, wipe everything down, rinse and refill. No need for any harsh cleaners such as bleach..etc.

Tony

tag
03-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks Tony, that's gross. I'll wipe this tank down etc. Funny that I never had this trouble with the rubbermaid containers.

Greg, I purchased heavy duty industrial grade rubbermaid containers...$100 bucks a piece!!! The first one sprung a small leak in one of the seams and the second started right behind it. I actually purchased a large food grade container...wasn't cheap either but it will hold 125 gallons no problem. The others will now make great garbage cans :) .

Thanks again

Tina

Greg Richardson
03-23-2005, 02:33 AM
WOW Tina, Now I'm nervous! LOL!
Can't wait till I have my fish room with concrete floor.
I do love my fish in master bedroom right next to my computer though, but sure would hate a leak.
Also my fish always staring at me making me feel guilty.
If they had their way I'd be feeding them every 20 minutes.
My other tank next to entry to master bedroom they always swim right to the corner every time I come in also giving me the feed me look!