PDA

View Full Version : Substrate for large planted tank????

dirk50merc
03-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Any suggestions on what type of substrate to use in a large planted show tank? I am planning on putting together a 180 gallon fully planted tank w/ Heckles and Turqs. Any suggestion or feed back on plants substrate or just general info is appriciated.

Thanks, Dirk

cord
03-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Caribsea Eco Complete Planted Aquarium substrate is a excellent substrate for plants. I really like it because it is black. Looks natural. All my plants in my 90 gallon seem to be doing excellent. Has over 25 elements to nourish your plants.

Cord

Darrell Ward
03-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Yes, you can use Eco, Flourite, etc. They will work very well. However, on a 180g or any large tank, enough of it for planted tank use will cost you big bucks! For my 180g, I bought quartz sand that is used for sandblasting for $8.50 per 100lbs. This stuff is light in color and very clean. To this I mixed in some balls I made from laterite, and root tabs for the swords. No worries! If you are the paranoid type, and worry it will get packed down, get some cories. They love to root around in the sand. They also may help a little with cleanup.

Don_Lee
03-30-2005, 02:52 PM
I have used Seachem Flourite and Onyx as a mix, and it was awesome! I tend to shy away from sand as it does tend to pack in and become anaerobic, which would be disastrous in an aquarium. Also-you never have to add any messy additions like laterite to the substrate. I really do not think corys would make any difference in helping avoid the substrate becoming anaerobic as they do not dig deep enough to reach the areas that could become anaerobic.

JMO,

Don

Larry Grenier
03-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Malaysian trumpet snails will burro through the substrate. Only problem is that the multiply quickly. You could add a few clown loaches if that becomes a problem. Do a search on Malaysian trumpet snails to see what I'm talking about.

Darrell Ward
03-31-2005, 01:52 AM
I have used Seachem Flourite and Onyx as a mix, and it was awesome! I tend to shy away from sand as it does tend to pack in and become anaerobic, which would be disastrous in an aquarium. Also-you never have to add any messy additions like laterite to the substrate. I really do not think corys would make any difference in helping avoid the substrate becoming anaerobic as they do not dig deep enough to reach the areas that could become anaerobic.

JMO,

Don

Laterite balls buried in the sand are not messy at all. You would have to use a fine grade of sand in a very deep layer for it to become anaerobic anyways. Heck, I used a 5-6 inch layer in a reef tank for over 5 years without problems! If someone can spend the bucks for 20+ bags of Flourite or Onyx or Eco for a large tank, go for it. I would rather spend that money on fish, rather than substrate myself. I'm just saying they are other ways that will work too, and cost less also. After all, we're only growing underwater weeds here anyway! LOL! They ain't that hard to grow, if you give them light, ferts, and CO2! Some of my friends act like it's rocket science or something. LOL! The nice thing about using sand with discus, is the poop stays on top of it, making removal easy. Anyhow, good luck with the tank! :D

dirk50merc
03-31-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all the input, I have been working hard all week assembling the tank, I will start to seal it today. It is 210 gallon, I have decide to terrace the tank with planted sections and I on using flourite/onyx mix.

Interesting enough on Friday night our local aquarium society is hosting a presentaion on planted tanks presented by Curt Dunaway, he's an aquatic plant expert. So I will be happy to share any feedback he can provide on this project.

Darrell, I agree with you we are just growing underwater weeds that typically thrive in less, I am probaly overthinking this one but thats how I do things, overthink, overplan, and work way to hard. As far as scavangers go I was planning on corries and a couple of loaches to help with clean up.

Larry, a Malaysian trumpet snail, cool name at least. I will check these out as well, though typically I would avoid snail at any cost, you are not the first to suggest some heavy duty snails for help with clean up. Some have suggested some of the larger pond species, I'm affraid some well be to disruptive to the plants.

Thanks for all the input, any interested in seeing final results of this project can drop me an email at Dirk@GarageWizardIrons.com

Dirk

dirk50merc
03-31-2005, 10:17 AM
Don, heres a queation for you, I have been reading a couple other post by you, you seem to be somewhat knowledgable about plant lighting. My question is have you ar anyonr you know of used Flourex 65 watt compact flourecents?

I am kicking around the idea of using these, incredibly energy effeciant with luminens that are compaired to a 500 watt Metal Halide, they burn cool can easily be housed in a hood, and have a blue spectrum very simular to the MH, though I still think the luminens are overstated they seem to be by far the brightest per watt bulb I've ever come across. I am think of using two of these for the 210.

Any thoughts are appriciated, Dirk

Don_Lee
03-31-2005, 01:02 PM
Laterite balls buried in the sand are not messy at all. You would have to use a fine grade of sand in a very deep layer for it to become anaerobic anyways. Heck, I used a 5-6 inch layer in a reef tank for over 5 years without problems! If someone can spend the bucks for 20+ bags of Flourite or Onyx or Eco for a large tank, go for it. I would rather spend that money on fish, rather than substrate myself. I'm just saying they are other ways that will work too, and cost less also. After all, we're only growing underwater weeds here anyway! LOL! They ain't that hard to grow, if you give them light, ferts, and CO2! Some of my friends act like it's rocket science or something. LOL! The nice thing about using sand with discus, is the poop stays on top of it, making removal easy. Anyhow, good luck with the tank! :D

Balls of laterite in the sand will be very messy if they are ever exposed to the water column. And as far as only a fine grain of sand with a very deep layer, I dont agree on that. But you do point out some advantages of sand, and cost is one. We all get to do our own thing, that is what makes the hobby so fun!

Thanks for the input!

Don

Don_Lee
03-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Don, heres a queation for you, I have been reading a couple other post by you, you seem to be somewhat knowledgable about plant lighting. My question is have you ar anyonr you know of used Flourex 65 watt compact flourecents?

I am kicking around the idea of using these, incredibly energy effeciant with luminens that are compaired to a 500 watt Metal Halide, they burn cool can easily be housed in a hood, and have a blue spectrum very simular to the MH, though I still think the luminens are overstated they seem to be by far the brightest per watt bulb I've ever come across. I am think of using two of these for the 210.

Any thoughts are appriciated, Dirk

Hi Dirk,

I have used the power compact setups available from AHSupply, and WOW they were bright! In fact, I had too many at first and I am sure that helped to create the greenwater problem I had for about 4 months, lol. I do not know that brand Dirk, but I do have great respect for power compact lighting in general. Here in the UK there seems to be a greater interest in open topped tanks, and I have seen some nice Arcadia branded setups that contain PC lighting that sits over the tank. If I were going top of the line with a planted tank, the PC lights would be my choice.
I would add that if you have not, maybe check out AHSupply.com. They have some great lights for cheap, just a bit of wiring and you will be a happy man, and save some money too!

Don