PDA

View Full Version : Sexual Pheromones

Mistakes R Crucial
03-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi all,

A couple of mates and I have been debating whether pheromones (not allomones) of one species will affect another. If we have a system with say Angel fish breeding on a regular basis will the sexual pheromones produced by the Angels affect breeding pairs of Discus in any way? In your experience have sexual pheromones from one species induced spawing or spawing behaviour in another species?

Thanks MAC

funkyfish
03-23-2005, 11:43 PM
sounds lik u need to talk to a chemist or bioligist or maybe to much time on ur hands lol
good luck

Giniel
03-24-2005, 01:24 PM
I had a friends tank for a while and she had angels and discus in it. The angel started to breed so I divided the tank and when the angels laid eggs the discus did too. This happened 2 times before she took the tank and fish back .Now that she haas moved and reset up the tanks none of the fish are breeding. She has them in seperate tanks.
Go figure::::It was either my water or her fish.LOL
Debbie

Mistakes R Crucial
03-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the reply Debbie. The reason for asking the question was that I introduced 3 pairs (old enough but never bred yet) to a system that had 8 breeding pairs of Angels and within 24 hours they were all showing and doing dummy runs up and down the cone. It may have been a coincidence but it may not have either, who knows.

Funky, I sometimes wish I had time to be bored!

MAC