PDA

View Full Version : First spawn of my Blue Diamonds

steelheaderdu
03-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Hey guys,

I received some small blue diamonds a few months back and was told they were much younger than they ended up being. They have remained very small, but I managed to get a pair to form (thats how I know the age wasn't accurate). I just noticed the two fish acting very affectionate towards each other 2 nights ago. I isolated them and just noticed eggs in their new tank about 5 minutes ago. They must have been there since last night, though, because some have already turned white. The female is only about 3" and the male is about 4" but she laid well over 100 eggs. Neither parent has protected the spawn. I've spawned discus over 100 times, but never seen a pair completely abandon the eggs. They haven't even thought about eating them yet. They just go about their business as if nothing is on the back wall of the tank. Anyone else ever have a new pair do this?

steelheaderdu out.

mench
03-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Yep...new pairs ,if they are young,will sometime do this...don't give up...keep watching them and see if the male does his thing when the female lays the eggs.Make sure your water is of for eggs.nice and soft

Mench

steelheaderdu
03-26-2005, 12:25 AM
This pair keeps surprising me. After abandoning the eggs, a few of them still hatched. The pair then ate the old white eggs, and the few wigglers that were mixed in. However, I just found about 30 or so wigglers attached to the spinge filter with the male guarding them with his life. If this spawn works out, I'll be amazed.... I've never had a pair abandon their spawn, nor have I had a pair move the wigglers.