PDA

View Full Version : Help, I cannot go beyond the Wigglers/Free Swimmer Stage

lito
03-25-2005, 10:05 AM
I have a pair (mature male and young female). She has 3 or 4 times laid eggs. This what I have been doing.
After the eggs are hatched and the Mom moved them to another place on the cone. I removed the Mom. Leaving the Dad and the wigglers in the tank.
I noticed that the Dad will breathe/fan the Wigglers on the cone and when the wigglers detach themselves from the cone. The Dad will eat the wigglers.

WHAT SHOULD I DO????

KD
03-25-2005, 10:24 AM
I have never had a breeding pair but I do have a question- Why are you removing the Mom?

Howie_W
03-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi lito,

When you say "She have 3 or 4 laid eggs" I'm assuming you are referring to the number of times the female has laid eggs, versus only 4 eggs correct?

Why are you removing them female instead of leaving the pair to care for the eggs?

Often the best thing to do is nothing at all. Egg and fry eating is a normal part of the process, and learned behavior can take time, even though this is frustrating for the hobbyist.

Howie

lito
03-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Howie,

Sorry, to confuse anybody reading my posting. I will edit and change my posting to "3 or 4 times have laid eggs".
Again sorry.

I read to remove the Mom in one of the posting.

The next time she lay egg I would not remove her.

Hi lito,

When you say "She have 3 or 4 laid eggs" I'm assuming you are referring to the number of times the female has laid eggs, versus only 4 eggs correct?

Why are you removing them female instead of leaving the pair to care for the eggs?

Often the best thing to do is nothing at all. Egg and fry eating is a normal part of the process, and learned behavior can take time, even though this is frustrating for the hobbyist.

Howie

lito
03-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Hello KD,
I read that in one of the posting.
But next time she lay eggs again, I would not do it no more.
Thanks for your reply.

I have never had a breeding pair but I do have a question- Why are you removing the Mom?

Barb Newell
03-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Don't remove mom. Dad is probably getting protective and eating the fry. Try to let them figure it out.

Barb

KD
03-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Hey Lito,
I never experienced a breeding. Just some prep.
I'd listen to Howie and Barb
GOOD LUCK!!! It's wonderful you have reached that point!
Karen

gikkicat
03-26-2005, 12:15 AM
No matter how hard it is just ignore them, pretend they are not there. After they spawn a few times they will eventually figure it out. I have a pair of snakeskins that spwned over 20 times before they raised babies. The hardest thing for a new discus breder is to be patient, but it is the thing they need to do most. Good Luck!

Tony

lito
03-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks to all for giving me the advise. I will let you guys/girl posted the next she sprawn.