PDA

View Full Version : This is AMAZING!

MoOcHiE525
03-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Dear Members,
Wow this is really amazing. My mom supised me with a 75 gallon tank for my birthday (Even though it's in May). I have been complaining and complaining about my useless 30 gallon, and SUPRISE I got my tank. I am waiting to get everything in order to plan my first planted tank. Most of them on this site took my breath away, and I want to apply the same techniques to my tank. I just have a couple of questions.
1) What substrate do you use for your planted tanks. I LOVE the look of gravel, and wish I could use it. But between the siphoning, and the mess my tank and fish would take a beating.
2) What filter do you guy's use? I am planning on using a powerhead, but I am open to change.
That's all the questions I have for now. Any other ideas or comments you have, PLEASE let me know! Thank's for your time,
Michael

GulfCoastDiscus
03-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Hi,
Have you thought about a barebottom planted tank?
Plants attached to driftwood. A discus tank requires plants that can withstand the heat. I suggest Anubias and Java Ferns.

dan

Don_Lee
03-25-2005, 05:55 PM
If you decide that you definitely want to go planted, you may want to repost this in the Showtank section of the board....all these dogooders are going to want to keep you from the "dark side" (old joke, lol).
If you want substrate, I woud go with Seachem products like Onyx or Flourite, or EcoComplete. Check out the recent posts in the Showtank area of the board, there have been some real nice tank pics posted lately.

Don:D

Glenn
03-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Hi Don what side are you on now

Tiptoptank
03-25-2005, 09:26 PM
THats sweet! Well first off I would say this is not going to be easy. At all.

Before you go and put any discus fish in your tank you will need a stronge knowledge of planted tanks and have the tank completely balenced and under control. What I mean is, you will not want to have Ph crashes and deal with huge algea attaks with your fish in there. You also need to take into acount what types of lighting you will want. I would suggest at the least 200watt fixture for your 75g. A power compact should be the most reasonably priced (150$). Your plant selection will variy greatly on wether you want to go with a good pressurised Co2 system or not. Since DIY co2 would be highly unmanagable in a 75g I would suggest buying a JBJ regulator and running it into a canister filter. WIthout CO2 you will be battling algea alot if you try for higher light plants. (I know from experience).

Get a good gravel like flourite but, don't make the gravel to thick because this will harbor paricites. Look at others tank online to get an idea of how you want your tank to look. Learn which plants do best in which lighting and so on. When it comes time to buy plants get htem from a good dealer! IF you don't you will most likely be adding flukes and snails to your tank. I would suggest www.aquariumplants.com

Once your tank has been running for awile start dosing iron, micros, KNo3, PO4...etc. Then when the tank seems under control and you feel you have a scedule that works, then look for discus. I would say buy adults other wise you will need to setup a BB tank to raise the discus. I say this because 5 feedings a day will definatly send your nise new planted tank off balence.

Most importantly have fun! I love this hobby because of the callenge it is. I really don't even look at the good in my tank. All I see is the bad little imperfection. BUt, when people come over they are blown away at how pretty the tank is. They always ask me how I do it and I just roll my eyes.

Any question just PM me. Good luck :bandana:

Don_Lee
03-26-2005, 03:47 AM
The dark side Glenn.........it is my destiny...lol.;)