PDA

View Full Version : Ugly discus thread...

jeep
03-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Lets see your uglies...

They may be culls but still some favorites...

Living ones please :)

Here's the infamous Eesob...

Terrybo
03-26-2005, 09:59 PM
This poor guy was going to be culled by the breeder when he was small, but I wanted to experiment and see how much a mishapen fry could improve if given a chance. (The answer is . . .Not much!). I call him my Severum Discus! :D He lives with some angelfish.

Terry

Evan
03-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Here is mine. I don't know why but I really like this guy.

Eddie
03-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Evan,
I don't think that your fish is ugly what so ever. I like him too. :)

Evan
03-27-2005, 01:59 PM
thanks,

The pic does not show it well but he is quite a football. I am convinced he could have been a really nice fish if he had a better start.

fishfarm
03-27-2005, 04:25 PM
This guy was actually sent to me by my Brazilian supplier, he charged me for this fish!! Next one came in the same shipmentl Evened out I guess. Mister scrawny became cat food. Ken

fishfarm
03-27-2005, 04:27 PM
:) From same box of fish.

jeep
03-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Wow, that last one is sweet!!!

jules
03-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Evan - your fish isn't ugly, he's rather cute.
Ken - what kind of discus in last pic?

Julie

Giniel
03-28-2005, 02:45 AM
This one has a LOT of peppering ,kinda ugly but great personality.

Eddie
03-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Here is my dusty runt.He's been the very lowest on the totem pole. I've moved him into a another tank tank with some smaller discus and yet he is still the lowest! Gotta love em though. :)

Spices
03-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Wow, Ken that last picture is nice. And I agree with basshead, that orange is not a bad looking "football" Evans. :D Just feed it more. I'm sure it will get rounder.

My "Discugly" is in my photo gallery but shown below again. S/He needs an alignment but still is a flower to me. I like the continued personality of this fish. It responds very very well to anyone near the tank. Not afraid to seek ya. Also it will send others to follow his/her direction. ;D

*Ang*

peteypob
03-28-2005, 01:04 PM
lol...thats funny spices

sidra
03-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Angie, I truly did lol (at work-oops!) when I saw your crooked fish.

I feel too bad to post my sad case's pic because he was beautiful when I bought him and he only looks bad because he was sick a couple months ago and is now stunted and funny-shaped because of it. (and still trying to figure out how to re-grow a tail :( )

jules
03-28-2005, 06:19 PM
He just had a little too much to drink and is off balance.

hexed
03-28-2005, 09:33 PM
This is my ugliest discus. I purchased it on aquabid from a seller in Florida only to find out that the picture on the auction was from a book LOL. I won 4 of these and they were all SQUARE shaped, this is the only to survive. It was definitely stunted before I received it :(
Here's pic number one:

hexed
03-28-2005, 09:35 PM
here's another LOL

Willie
03-28-2005, 09:58 PM
I'd take a picture of my freezer, but that would be cruel...

Willie

April
03-29-2005, 03:39 AM
i think hexed fish is the winner. : )
its funny..the runts or the odd ones out..seem to get the most personality.
guess its the little guy syndrome..making sure hes noticed..makes up for it in spirit.
this is a good thread. we all have had some discus who didnt turn out to be beauties..for whatever reason. runted. poor quality fish sent..or some of them rescued and had lost their window of opportunity.
we had a thread going of defect fish before..the strangest being the unicorn discus .

Eddie
03-29-2005, 08:44 AM
I don't know but I think Angie's fish can give Hex's fish a run for his money. Just my thoughts. Never seen a discus that needed an alignment! :)

Spices
03-29-2005, 08:56 AM
LOL... Haa.... haa..... (literally rolling in laughter and tears). Hexed won! Hee..eeeee... My guys drink too much acid liquids so it can cause malignment. But isn't this much like a car, when you turn the wheel at 360 degrees and you find yourself at the same position 30 seconds ago? LOL (heeee...)

Alaskaknucklehead
03-30-2005, 01:19 AM
S/He needs an alignment but still is a flower to me. I like the continued personality of this fish. It responds very very well to anyone near the tank. Not afraid to seek ya. Also it will send others to follow his/her direction. ;D

*Ang*

What a funny fish! I think we have a winner... she does need an alingment LOL!

goes to show though they dont have to be perfect to be totaly cooooool!!! I like her!

Spices
04-06-2005, 10:00 AM
This is from a new fish store. Incredible. Here's an 8" blue diamond that was called by the staff a dark blue marine discus. They want over 400.00US for this! NOT!!! This poor discus has lived a long time to reach his size; now will be left for death. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Spices
04-06-2005, 10:04 AM
In front of it is a large clean SNOW WHITE discus. Very very sweeet. Hard to keep it away from that big dark blue marine discus. Asking price of close to 200.00 US. Chances are this fish will be contaminated as well. But worth saving because it wasn't in this tank for long.

Spices
04-06-2005, 10:07 AM
In that image above you can clearly see other PBs (goldens, tangerines) that has plenty of spottings on their face and body. Substrate doesn't help at all in this matter. I think a light colored substrate can deter spotting on any fish.

This last one is of a lab creation...called the Parrot fish.

Spices
04-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Here's a closer look. Last image. Notice too the heckel in the tank. All dark with pop-eyes. So sad.

fishfarm
04-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Those angels with fin rot really make me want to buy some fish out of that tank. LOL

Spices
04-09-2005, 01:25 AM
So called manager told me that he installed medication in the tank but it's been about four months. Those fish have been over-medicated and nothing has changed except for the fact that they keep the tank extremely clean. All in all fin rot and dark shades comes along with the high price they charge for those sick fish. :sad: *A*

Dillan
04-10-2005, 05:39 PM
hey there... is there a name for basshead's ugly fish? the pink speckled one? I have 2 like this (one kinda ugly I guess, but wiley and smart) and one that's getting more beautiful as it gets older... Are these called "Dragons"?

Dillan
04-10-2005, 05:51 PM
[B]A lot of these fish look pretty good to me! What do you guys consider ugly!? LOL]

Even though I'm pretty new to Discus, some of these "ugly" fish are easy to understand... But I've been curious for awhile about how show fish are judged. Does anyone know of a web site where judging criteria is described?

I only have 4 fish right now but, as you can all relate, I'm totally addicted already. I'm getting another tank because I can't control my urge to bring another fish home much longer! I think I understand how to tell if a fish is healthy or not... but what about body shape... fins... colours... patterns... how can I tell when one fish is truly worth more than another fish? I love even my ugly little runt (which I enthusiastically purchased before knowing anything about Discus!) but I'd like my next purchases to be smart ones, considering the investment!

Love this site -- good to see I'm not the only Discus nut!

Dillan

Spices
04-10-2005, 07:04 PM
[B]A lot of these fish look pretty good to me! What do you guys consider ugly!? LOL]

Even though I'm pretty new to Discus, some of these "ugly" fish are easy to understand... But I've been curious for awhile about how show fish are judged. Does anyone know of a web site where judging criteria is described?

I only have 4 fish right now but, as you can all relate, I'm totally addicted already. I'm getting another tank because I can't control my urge to bring another fish home much longer! I think I understand how to tell if a fish is healthy or not... but what about body shape... fins... colours... patterns... how can I tell when one fish is truly worth more than another fish? I love even my ugly little runt (which I enthusiastically purchased before knowing anything about Discus!) but I'd like my next purchases to be smart ones, considering the investment!

Love this site -- good to see I'm not the only Discus nut!

Dillan

Hey Dillan,

Quality fish... in short and in conclusion, you can find them in both the Breeders section and Photo section of this forum. I give you a few names to look up for starters: Big Colossal Discus, Nice Color, Nice Pattern, Excrements Only Brown Feces (LOL), these names get very large sometimes but I got the hang of them. Here's more: Hurrys to the Top of Tank, Swims Frequently. And one more, Alert and Energetic. Now you can find a breeder with smaller discus and were well cared for. There names are: Juvies that Poops Brown Feces Only, Growing My Colors and Fins.

:D

I think by reading this you may have already gotten my point. :D

*A*

Dillan
04-10-2005, 08:35 PM
haha... interesting criteria -- esp. the repeat reference to poop colour. wassup with that?

oh, and Happy Birthday by the way! ;)

D

Spices
04-11-2005, 09:57 AM
;)

Oh, well, let's just say.. I really don't know where the criterias for fish judging comes from, but from what I experienced it is just that as said in my aforementioned post. ;) (could be more involved but I certainly don't know).

Glad you like the poop inferences. Sure is important. It sure would help if in an auction for fish we can determine a fish's health by using the images of the fish in process of making brown poops? :confused: :p

There are some top breeders in the forum that certainly can produce some fine fish. *A*

April
04-11-2005, 10:44 AM
it takes awhile to get an eye for a good shaped discus. just keep watching and learning. get your fish from someone like Cary of great lakes discus..and you will be sure he sends you good fish. then..do your wcs daily..good food..keep them happy and you will have some beauties in your tank. we all started out just the same as you . By dragging some little discus home from a lfs or what have you..and as time went on..learnt how to care and choose our discus. and of course more and more obsessed..and then..more and more chances to obtain those beauties. lol.