PDA

View Full Version : Medicating a planted

Tiptoptank
03-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Ok, I have a QT tank which I have been useing to get my fish better when sick. Lately one of my fish turned dark and started hiding alot so I treated him with metro and it worked. I dosed 350MG every 12 hours for 5 days. I put him in my planted tank again and within 3 days he was back to being dark and hiding. My question is can I use metro in a planted tank without messing it up.

55 gallon
GH- 3
KH 4.5
Co2 20-30
temp 82
The tank is well maintained and I do W/c twices a weeks at 40 %

sidra
03-29-2005, 12:16 AM
I have used Metronidazole in my planted tank and my plants are fine. I have Amazon Sword, Sagittaria and another plant I don't know what it is.

Medications with dyes such as Coppersafe, etc are harmful to plants, but MOST antibiotics won't harm plants. Check the labels. Also, unless the medication tells you to halt water changes, keep them up. And I would definitely do water changes much more than two times per week, especially if you have ill fish. It makes a big difference. Also, Metronidazole can cause a bacterial bloom so it's especially important to do those water changes between treatments.

Metronidazole should be used with temp at 92F and treated every 8 hours. Opinions vary about the number of days. You can use salt at the same time as Metronidazole (just don't overdo it with your plants).

There are several posts in the medications/disease section about Metronidazole.

RAWesolowski
03-29-2005, 01:46 AM
Tip,

I have used Metro, Erythromycin and ich meds in my planted tank without problems.

Tiptoptank
03-29-2005, 02:05 AM
Wouldn't 92+ kill off my plants and other ehabitants very fast? Thats my only worry about metroing the tank.

peteypob
03-29-2005, 03:24 AM
Yup, in order for metro to do its job in a timely and effecient manner the temp needs to be at least 90 deg. At this temp you will cook any and basically every plant you have in there. I have tried dosing Metro at 83 deg in my tank and wasted my time and med's. Its difficult to run metro in a planted tank and wouldn't recommend it. This is just from my experiance though, Im sure other have had it work for them. HTH
Pete

dirk50merc
03-29-2005, 10:52 AM
If you water is stable 5 days at 92 should not kill your plants (assuming they are discus freindly plants). I have been keeping my planted tank at 92' for just about one week, due to an outbreak of planaria, seems to be helping with the problem along with dailly water changes. I have pigmy chain swords, large amazon sword, water wysterias. No problem at 92' for 7 days.

I agrre with Sidra DO NOT stop water changes perhaps look at dailly water changes, so much of disccus health is directly related to water chemestry and conditions.

Wishing you good fish health, Dirk

Tiptoptank
03-29-2005, 10:54 AM
I have alot of plants and some are not high temp plants. I think I will just have to keep meding in th QT tank intill the fish toughens up