PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes Discus

ecrew
03-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Has anyone been to Cary's place recently? I'm fairly new to the board and I ran across a thread from last year that showed a new hatchery in progress for Cary and AA.

I talked to Cary a few weeks ago about some Discus we may be buying from him in April or May. I didn't realize he had a new place setup. His website says, "Closed til Spring 2005".

Anyway, just curious. We live in Richmond, VA. I've been trying to talk my husband into visiting Detroit. :) He's still not convinced it's a good idea. :)

Thanks!
Liz

alpine
03-29-2005, 06:02 PM
I will be visiting saturday :)

roberto.

Ardan
03-30-2005, 06:51 AM
I've been trying to talk my husband into visiting Detroit. He's still not convinced it's a good idea.
I think it would be a great idea! :)
I think it would be fascinating and interesting. I visited over a yr ago, I know things are probably different, but I'm sure it is still an experience to behold, besides, Its still good old Cary :D
In all seriousness (sp?) Cary is a top notch discus expert and a great person. :)

Ardan

ecrew
03-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks for your replies! I can tell Cary is very popular considering this thread has been viewed 180 times. LOL!!! :)

I really want to make the trip, but my husband doesn't think it's practical. I think it would be a great adventure. :) I can't wait to get fish from Cary!!!

amazing aquatics
03-31-2005, 01:54 AM
Cary has been hard at work re setting up his hatchery at home. He should be back to full tilt real soon.

Discus_KC
03-31-2005, 10:41 AM
Iv'e driven 16 hours to his house. Well worth the trip !!!

Jack

ecrew
03-31-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks, Jack.

We're approx. 10 hours from Cary. I wouldn't mind driving up but I would rather fly.
I checked on plane tickets. Roundtrip from Dulles, Washington D.C. to Detroit with one night hotel stay started at $166.00/person and went up depending on the hotel.
I thought that was a great price. I still couldn't talk my husband in to it. He doesn't think it's practical. I look at it as an adventure!! :)

Maybe one day he'll agree. :D

Discus_KC
03-31-2005, 10:58 AM
He will treat you right !!! I've always been happy with Cary's fish !!!

Jack

April
03-31-2005, 11:45 AM
couldnt go see a better fish hatchery . hes the king of discus . you would gather a great deal of knowledge..and your jaws would drop.And...hes a very nice person . you'd get to see fry on parents backs..and that alone is worth the trip. he used to have his hatchery in his basement for years..then moved to a warehouse..now..hes moved the fish back to his basement. Tell your husband you'll just take a quick jaunt on your own..and be riiiiiiiiiiiight back. lol.
Jack has quite the setup also..hes in kansas city. his is pretty hightech..and i bet he has more than a few fish. theres a whole thread on jack building his hatchery from scratch..have a look. discus_kc .

babyjess210
03-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Hi Liz
It would be nice to see all the nice fish in person, but if you cannot convince your husband you will not be disappointed with the fish he ship.
Kenny

ecrew
03-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks to all!

I plan on buying from him, but I would LOVE to see his place!! I'm still working on my husband. Maybe he'll change his mind!

JasonBR
03-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Cary sure is the man for Discus and extremely knowledgable...I have been to both of his places and seen 29 breeding pairs when he had his store in operation...Very intelligent man and gonna make another trip very soon...Well worth the 4 hour drive!

Jason

limige
04-01-2005, 12:53 PM
cary who???? lol