PDA

View Full Version : A Video-Angel threesome Spawning

raglanroad
03-30-2005, 12:10 PM
A little evidence of what Jim Robinson discovered about Altums and Angels in general. This is from another source http://users.du.se/~mvi/scalarelek.AVI Hope This Helps ; )

Robin764
03-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Mebbe it's just me....
But no clue where to go once I hit your link...:(

Robin

raglanroad
03-30-2005, 02:29 PM
sorry, Robin, I made an error, and maybe you can view it now. If not, I can get some stills.

Robin764
03-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Wow....Very nice!
Thank you!

Robin

raglanroad
03-30-2005, 11:02 PM
These are not my fish, the video was sent to Finarama by a hobbyist. This type of action was first mentioned by Jim Robinson, as he observed his Altums trading partners immediately after each spawn, in a 6-fish swap-meet. So not exactly the same, but it challenges our previous notions. Now there are other instances of the video behaviour, with groups of up to 11 young fish, which then paired off in the usual manner. Some groups have a babysitter, even one who does not contribute to the spawning.Also have seen photos of an Altum taking great interest in the spawn site of other angels, not trying to eat .

Robin764
03-31-2005, 10:02 AM
Very interesting! I just might have to set up an altum tank! I love this kind of stuff...You'll never find it in books!

Robin

raglanroad
03-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Although Jim saw non-monogamy in Angels first, his were Altums, for the swap-meet. These fish , and other wild and domestics angels, have formed stable relationships at times, and at other times, it was a young adult phase that turned into regular pairing-off, which then were stable monogamous pairs . If the video appears upside-down, it 's because those fish installed a ceiling mirror.

dirk50merc
04-01-2005, 02:10 PM
WOW that's an intreging video, I'm fascinated. I'm with Robin interested enough to se if I can't recreate this in one of my tanks. Cichlid parenting is one of the most fascinating asspects of the hobby thanks for the link.

Dirk

raglanroad
04-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Dirk and Robin,
You're right, it is not the kind of thing that you will find everywhere. In books almost everything is referenced from other books and papers. Those other books and papers were written using previous books, and on and on. That is how the myths creep in. After it has been repeated many times you in books, it becomes fact. Borrrrring!!!
That's why I think that hobbyists provide more information than scientists and experts.
I want to see some pics of Discus doing the Angel thing like ^ !!!
Dave

PaintballFan07
04-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Really cool video. Those angels are huge and great looking. Makes me want to set up an Angel only tank now.