PDA

View Full Version : DIscus problem involving planted tank

Tiptoptank
03-31-2005, 09:38 PM
OK here is the deal. I bought 5 discus awile back (3months) and 4 of them died. THe only one to live has had no problems besides a tape worm and I think a mild case of hex. I had them all in a QT tank to make them grow up well. When the fish was in the QT tank it was really sky blue, but when I put it in my 55 gallon planted he started hiding and turned alittle darker like a purple blue. He only get frightened when I am near the tank. WHen I am not near the tank he comes out and is very active. On thing I noticed is that he only stays on one side of the tank. HE eats fine and even fights for his food from the SAE. O, he is about 3 inchs

He was never scared of me before in the QT tnak. In fact he almost jumped out the tank when I went to feed him. Could it be that he doesn't feel safe in the planted tank alone? Or is hex attack ing my fish. He had hex before but he was much much darker then. He didn't eat then either so I don't think this is hex

55 gallon
fully planted
temp 83.5
120Watt CF
Nitrate- 10
ammonia- 0
PH- 6.5
GH- 3
KH- 4.5
co2 - 20-30 He never gasps for air so this isn't the problem
there is a SAE, an otto, a cory cat. 2 koolie loaches, 2 goast shrimp, couple snails

wvt9527
04-01-2005, 01:10 AM
How often & how much WC do you do.

Tiptoptank
04-01-2005, 12:12 PM
I do 40% twice a week with condistioned tap water.

peteypob
04-03-2005, 01:41 AM
HI Tipotank,
I have moved discus from planted to bare and bare to planted and noticed the same reaction with some discus. When I moved my rencent pair from my planted to bare they were very frightened everytime I walked near the tank. They were put into the tank when they were about 3" and put into the bare bottom when there were 5". I think with in my case they were shocked because they were use to and comfortable with one enviroment and being put into a completely different place flips them out. I dont thinks this goes for all discus but just my experience. I do WC on my planted tank 3x weekly and keep the water at optimal conditions, but with some discus they tend to get a little dark in color than others. I have some though that really dont get dark in the planted tank. Changing discus from tank to tank often throws them off as well. If and when one of mine in the planted get sick and I move him to the hospital tank(barebottom) they get worse before the get better. By worse I dont mean sicker but they are very scared and hiding often sometimes not eating for a day. My advise is to continue to observe him make sure your treating him for what he HAS and not from what you THINK he has. Watch the symtoms and make sure to take the right steps to get him better. Dont rush it, feed him well, plently of clean water and you should do great. Discus are ten times better in groups than by themselves. Get him some buddies and you'll notice a huge change in his attitude and health. Good Luck!
Pete

Tiptoptank
04-04-2005, 02:43 PM
This is a tough fish he has survived alot. I have had about 6 other fish which all died besides him. I don' think he will died. But, his color is bothing me.

I will pick up some new fish tomarro 8 )

walk23
04-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Try not feed ing him as much and condition him associating your presense to food delivery. I recenttly added some fish to my planted tank, and because they had been conditioned to come to the top for feeding my original ones finally got the idea.
They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks but fish aren't dogs.
Kevin :angel:

rayhwong
04-05-2005, 01:14 PM
I had the same problem before when I first kept discus in planted tanks. He needs some more friends in the tank to feel safe. Also give him time to get use to the tank. Feed him smaller amounts but more frequently to get him to come out more and get use to coming out of hiding.
Blackworms are great for this purpose.

Tiptoptank
04-05-2005, 01:40 PM
I do feed CBW's. HE is getting over himself though. HE always comes to the top fpr food now, but he still gets frightened. I think he is fine. His color is alittle better and he had grown a 1/2 inch in a week and a half so I guess he is doing fine

shalu
04-05-2005, 03:36 PM
In my own experience, easily freightened discus usually indicate internal parasite problems. They used to get freightened easily as well in my planted tank, well, bare bottom too for that matter. They are just fine now after complete rounds of deworming with prazi, piperazine, levamisole. My wild discus would attack my hand fiercely When I put my hand in the water when two OTHER discus were spawning :)