PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION ABOUT SHIPPING FISH

Giniel
03-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Hi, I might be shipping some discus babies in a few weeks and was wondering how to go about the process of sending them through the mail. I have researched how to pack them .I would appreciate any help others have in this matter.How to determine weight of package ? Who to ship through? Do you need an account with shipper? anything will help
Thank you
Debbie

F8VRT-HBY
04-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Mabey you could call some breeders or some big website that ship and see exactly how they ship.... ;)

Spices
04-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Giniel,

I don't think anyone ships via USPS packags containing live animals. I wouldn't risk receiving a package containing live animals via USPS. Check with the breeders on this forum (such as, Cary Strong, Jack Taylor (Discus_KC), Al Sabetta (Brewmaster15), Alberto (Aquatechnics) and other breeders). If I was a shipper/breeder I would never use the USPS for delivery. If you mean to say ship (instead of mail) in your post then most shippers/breeders use FedEx, airport-to-airport shipping, United Parcel Services (UPS), or DHL. But not USPS (United States Postal Services).
*Angie*

Giniel
04-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi Angie,yes I meant to say ship I would not send anyting alive through our mail system.lol. Do you know if I would need an account with fed ex etc to be able touse them??
Thanks Debbie

korbi_doc
04-01-2005, 04:27 PM
:D Debbie, that's good advice to ask the guys who do this all the time.. Have you done a search for "how to ship", there are several on the forum that go into the details of boxes, plastic bags, oxygen supply, bag buddies, heat packs & how to apply these to be able to ship fish. I don't know about accounts, have read that some needed them, shouldn't be too hard to set it up.. do a search, maybe you'll find the answers, hopefully some of the breeder/sellers will see this & help, good luck, Dottie

Augusto Gadelha
04-01-2005, 05:04 PM
I always uses two plastic bags, if possible with a paper or thicker bag between them.
In the previous day of the shipping does not feed the fishes to prevent excrements in the plastic bag and consequent nitrite/ammonia production.
It fulls the plastic bags in way that lying in the horizontal line covers the body of the fish, if possible, send the plastic bags in the horizontal inside of the container.
In case of long trips (more than two days) fill the plastic bag with water and O2, a device of hospital O2 can be used for this function.
You place some sachet of ammonia removers or stress coach, everything in its had ratio.
To finish, the plastic bags must be accomodated inside in a thermal box, fills the spaces of the box with paper to prevent that it balances.

I must have forgotten some thing, but is basically of that way.