PDA

View Full Version : Is this definitely hex?

craniac24
04-01-2005, 09:51 PM
I just saw the dreaded "white stringy poop" come out from one of my juvies. He is a very healthy eater, extremely active and though smaller than most of the others, he is definitely one of the bosses of the tank. His colors are bright and there are no other indications that something might be wrong.

I often wondered why he didn't seem to be growing as fast as the others, considering that he always got his fair share of food. Then today I saw the poop and it had me thinking that perhaps I was dealing with Hex, and that the reason why he didn't seem to be growing as fast was because the fish was being robbed of nutrients by parasites.

So the question is: Does white stringy poop automatically mean hex? Is my thought process on his growth rate an accurate one? Do I need to start a metro treatment ASAP? I don't want to medicate unless absolutely necessary, and as I said before, in every other respect he apprears very healthy.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Joe

Carol_Roberts
04-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Some time discus pass part of the intestinal lining. If he is swimming in the middle of the tank with fins erect and eating normally I would not treat for hex. Keep an eye on him, but most likely feces may be normal next time.

craniac24
04-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Thank you Carol. I appreciate the advice.