PDA

View Full Version : uv lights ??

nimo69
04-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Should I get one ? What are pros and cons on uv lights ?
What brands are good ? $$$$$$$$$$$ are they
Thank You
Nimo69

lado
04-03-2005, 09:47 PM
They work out miricles with green water.UV cleans it in couple of days.

Howie_W
04-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Ultraviolet sterilizers destroy beneficial nutrients contained within the water column. Although they can initially be beneficial, you may find they do more harm than good. After long term exposure to UV, the fish can become addicted to its usage. If you reach a point where your UV is not functioning, or have to remove the fish to another tank without one, it's possible that their immune systems will be significanly lowered, making it easier for them to get sick.

My two cents worth; keep it simple. :)

Howie

wvt9527
04-04-2005, 02:06 PM
I agree with Howie on the UV lights. I had an air filter with an UV on it. I notice after a leaving it on for a long time all my family got sick quiet easier then before we had it. So I beleive the same thing would happen with discus. On the other hand I will be putting one in the pond this summer but only for a 2 to 3 hours a day it will be turned on. I will be using it just to help keep the water clear.

dishpanhands
04-04-2005, 02:32 PM
i have one i use only a few hours a month just those days the water just doesn't look real clear, and if i take a sick fish out of a tank i run it in that tank try to keep other fish from catching whatever, not sure it stop the spread but it makes me fell better.

Cosmo
04-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Howie has a very good point. Barnard Degan recommends they only be used a few hours a day for the very reason Howie mentioned.

I however use them and let them run continuously except during feeding when I turn the pump and lights off with timers. Keeps algea under control, and I like the idea of having something that will zap any bad guys that get into the tank. Haven't experienced any disease issues from using them, but, it would make sense that preventing all potential pathogens from getting established in the tank would tend to reduce the fishs natural ability to fight off infections through lack of need.

A good one to consider is the Coral Life twist line. the 3X is 9watt, the 6X is 18watt and the 12X is 36watt. The bulbs need to be replaced annually at least, and you should open them on occassion to clean the crystal sleeve. The 3X is good for up to about a 100gal tank. I think BigAls usually has the best price, though drsfostersmith, petsolutions, and thatfishplace are all pretty close.

Important thing to remember is hook them up to a pump that has the correct flow rate so the water doesn't go thru too fast to make them effectively useless. (or too slow and burn them up)

Jim

tag
04-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi,

I'm using a UV sterilizer, the coralife turbo twist which I've found to be the best of what's available. I run my UV 24/7 although there are a number of opinions as to what works best. Some time ago a simply member posted after doing some research and concluded two weeks on, two weeks off would work best. Others have said timed for a few hours on and yet others have said 24/7 so make of that what you will. I personally have found that the UV has helped keep the nasties at bay, works for algae and the fish are in excellent condition (fins,tails etc). I would advocate it's use but that's just me :) .

Take care

Tina

ricmod
04-06-2005, 03:14 AM
I circulate water through UV sterilizer 24/7 except in winter. They say bulbs should be changed every 12 months, but I'm on my 4th year and it is still working fine. Clean it every fall when I disconnect it. JMO

Rich