PDA

View Full Version : Softener water by peat moss

tengdiscus
04-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Hi all. I have a question about what kind of peat moss that we should use to softener our water to soft water? Our tap water is too hard (close to 1000ppm) I'm using TDS probe to get that measurement. I've read some article they mention that you can use peat moss to make your water soft, stablizing your PH, and make your discus happier. Can someone tell me which kind of peat moss do I need? And the way to use it like just put it in a bag and place in the power filter? Right now I have some orchid plants and I'm using Sphagnum moss and orchid media to pot my orchid, so can I use that kind of moss for the discus also?

Teng

Doug A
04-03-2005, 10:51 PM
I think you can use just about any peat moss as long as it doesn't have fertilizer or any other chemical additives in it.

HTH
Doug

dishpanhands
04-04-2005, 06:03 AM
you want pure canadian peat moss, but i don't think it will lower your TDS. most use it to lower the PH, and i don't think it will lower it much with that high of TDS. too much buffer in the water. I use RO filter to lower TDS.

dishpanhands
04-04-2005, 06:11 AM
oh i use a womans stocking to hold the peat and put it in my storage barrel. don't leave it more then three days

funkyfish
04-04-2005, 10:49 AM
i have use peat moss when i get new fish from the breeder his ph is low and soft water my water is 350 ppm gh peat won't lower it that much to about 275 to 300 works better on kh and ph than gh

tengdiscus
04-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks so much for all ya'll help. I'll try them out. Oh well, one more question. Just put the peat moss into water...no need to treat or rinse the moss?

Teng.

raglanroad
04-05-2005, 02:50 PM
A little work with the peat moss will help a lot. First, if it gets all over your plants and tank, it makes a mess. So, the first thing to do, is soak some in water, then test for nitrates in case the have additives. If not, then remove all sticks from the moss, put the peat moss in a socking, use a jug of tank water, and squeeze it until the jug of water turns dark. Then strain the water through a a filter of compacted filter floss to remove the particles. Then use this to adjust your addition water. If you have lowered the GH by addition of RO water, then the amount of peat neccessary will be very small. So be careful of not putting the peat solution straight into your tank, as it may be drastic. If you do not lower the GH first, you will need lots of peat in a stocking, and a barrel of addition water. It is sometimes easier to gently lift out the surface water, after the peat has settled for a day, than it is to filter it. But filter it also after that. German long-strand peat may also be found at Home Depot- but in the section of the greenhouse where they have fertilizers and stuff, in small bags, $4. This stuff is also used for bio-filter bed as one of the best mediums.
Dave

tengdiscus
04-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Thanks alot Dave...Let me try that out. I might need too little or too massive of peat moss, due to my water quality from the supply source. I'll use very little due to my discus breeding tank is RO water. And I will update if my pair is laying eggs again. Thanks y'all.

Teng.