PDA

View Full Version : My Beauties Have Arrived...

Audrey
04-04-2005, 02:38 PM
My 8 2.5" discus from GLD arrived on Saturday and all I can say is........."WOOOO-HOOO"!!!!!!!!!! They are soooo nice! It was really hard to come to work today, I just wanted to stay home and admire them all day.

So here are a couple of quick ?s.

Is it normal for them to appear a little bit darker when the tank light is off?

How much lighting should they have per day?

Is it okay to feed them frozen b/ws every day? (They are getting lots of other good stuff, too.)

Audrey

sidra
04-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Awesome! What kinds did you get?

My juvenile fish look "washed out" with the tank lights on. In natural day light they are more deeply colored, not necessarily dark. My babies only have natural lighting-no tank lights so can't help ya there.

Kristen

tlum
04-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Pictures please.

Terry

Audrey
04-04-2005, 03:24 PM
I got:

2 Violet Reflections
1 ABD
1 Tangerine
1 SS
1 RRB
1 GD
1 RM

I will post pics soon. :)
I need to take some, and then figure out how to get them on my computer.
I am not too good with that yet.

Audrey

bmrin1
04-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Audrey,
Congrats onthe new fish. Yes you can feed them blood worms everyday but variety is best. Feed multiple times per day and try something different each time. There is no set amount of time they need light. Mine have always had atleast 12 hours per day. My guess to the darkness is that they are new to your setup and are a bit stressed by the move.
Just a guess though.
Brian

Audrey
04-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks, Brian! In their auto feeder I have an assortment of high protein flake foods and Tetra Color Bits. Evenings I will rotate between frozen blood worms and frozen mysis shrimp. I will soon be giving a beef heart mixture a try also.

Howie_W
04-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Congratulations Audrey! Very exciting! :)

Just keep up with your daily water changes, don't overfeed, and keep all feces and any uneaten food cleaned up regularly.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Howie

Audrey
04-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks, Howie!!! I will definitely keep up with the daily water changes. I am starting out with 25% once or twice a day, then will gradually increase them as they begin eating more, etc..., and get more comfortable with their new home.

I have only had them since Saturday, and already they are all eating well and not hiding much at all.

I did notice last night a couple of them glancing off the heater cord a little. Went to the disease section here this morning and read that some scratching is normal. So I need to keep a close eye on them.

Discus_KC
04-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Audrey,

Congrats on the new arrivals. I guess you could call in "well" to work.

Well, I'm not coming in today !!! I have new fish!!

Jack

Audrey
04-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks, Jack! I would love to call in "well" to work!! But, nobody I work with seems to understand a discus-obsessed person.

I have been coming into work late every day this week. I HAVE to watch them eat in the morning!!! Then I HAVE to do a quick small water change!!!
All that takes time! Good thing I have a flexible schedule where I work.

GulfCoastDiscus
04-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Good for you Audrey. Can't go wrong with Cary. Post pics.

dan

Audrey
04-06-2005, 06:34 PM
I will post pics as soon as I get some good ones. Little buggers won't sit still very long. LOL Not to mention I am not a very good photographer.

I miss them and worry about them during the day. They are so cute! I just want to take one out and hug it.

I also can't believe how agressive they are already. Chasing and pushing each other around! I suppose this will only get worse as they grow. :o

Audrey

CARY_GLdiscus
04-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Audrey,

I told You Good healthy stock goes a long way!

IME if They are Healthy They are the Easyest Fish to keep!

Most of the stories You hear about Discus being hard to Keep are about People that Bought Sick Discus to Start!

I hope You have a BLAST with Them And Feel free to call anytime

Your New Family
GreatLakesDiscus!

Audrey
04-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi, Cary~~!!! :)

I am having a blast with them! Hard to pry myself away from their tank and I am getting way behind in my house cleaning and laundry!

Discus should come with a maid and personal assistant! ;)

Audrey