PDA

View Full Version : Incurable Disease

Doug A
04-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Incurable Disease
By Doug Albrecht

I’m sure you are all aware of this disease and many of you have it. It is called Discus Fever AKA The Discus Bug. The correct scientific name for this is Discus Iwantum. In advanced stages it morphs into Discus Iwantum Ineedum.

The first symptom is a feeling of desire when you see a beautiful discus in person or even in a picture. In advanced cases this feeling of desire may be accompanied by drooling.

Following the initial symptom you go crazy with research. You will buy books on discus, read information on websites, join forums and read every post. Some people skip this step in the disease. I DO NOT recommend skipping this step. This can lead to a possible cure but many times just adds frustration and kills the discus. Some books are outdated but still useful.

Next you setup a fish tank specifically for discus. Then you buy your first bunch of discus. Many people with the disease buy young discus to grow-out to adult. If you are successful in raising the young to adult and they pair off and spawn you will enter the advanced stages of this disease.

Advanced case symptoms:

You have a pair that is spawning and setup a tank for them while keeping your first tank full of fish. More fish = more tanks. This can continue to happen for a long time and one day you will find yourself surrounded by tanks filled with discus.

You see a discus and just have to get it to add it to your collection.

Even though this disease is incurable it usually is not deadly. Possible reason for death from this disease: Your spouse finds out how much money you spent on your new fish.

Possible cures:
Failure
Lack of money
The fear of the care required
Not enough room for more tanks

You and your fish can live a long life with proper care, feeding and plenty of water changes. Do not forget to take care of yourself after spending all your time caring for the fish. :D

Eddie
04-08-2005, 02:34 PM
I think I might have a mild case of it along with, Discus Iwantum Ineedum and Imgonnagetem :D

sidra
04-08-2005, 02:49 PM
I had Iwantum and Ineedum so bad that now I also have a case of runningoutofcash-itis. It seems to be countering the Imgonnagetem.

My cat showed me his thoughts on the matter this morning-he ate the beefheart I had just shredded for the baby tank.

tpl*co
04-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Hmmm, I must have a bad case with being willing to drive a couple of times over 2 hours in the rain to pick up discus or paying 50+ in shipping for discus. :p

I'm in the next stage of needing a bigger tank,

Robin764
04-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Real advanced stage of this disease happens when you run out of room for more tanks....

gettinbiggerhouseum

At this point there is no known cure:)

Robin

oodi
04-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Robin,

I know what you mean. Even when the kids are all gone, we can't downsize... need the room for tanks! :D

Judi
:)

Spices
04-09-2005, 01:33 AM
LMAOL... :D

I think I've got the Igottagetum all syndrome. It's obviously catchy. :noway: *A*

Doug A
04-09-2005, 07:34 AM
I have Imgonnagetum Gonna order fish from GLD real soon. Just waiting for tank to finsh cycling. :D Hope you guys enjoyed my little bit of fun on here with this thread. I was happy to see people add to it. Deep down inside we are all the same.........Crazy about fish (especially DISCUS) :fish:

Doug

Eddie
04-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Thats a fact Doug.
Post pics of your fish when they get settled in. Everybody loves pictures!!! :)

Eddie

Cosmo
04-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Hey Doug..

Thanks for posting that bit medical advise. Unfortunately, it's too late for most of us LOL

Jim

Doug A
04-09-2005, 11:28 PM
I've had it since I was 12. So that would make it for 21 years now. Now I just have to be successful with discus.

Doug

Greg Richardson
04-09-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm catching it!

susankay1
04-11-2005, 06:50 PM
I thought I had a cure lined up. It's a quite involved cure.
1. First, you close your business that lets you stay home a lot of the time. That cuts down on the amount of money you have to spend on your disucs
2. Get a job that requires you to work 13 hours per day.
That cuts down on the amount of time you have to spemd doing water changes and staring at your fish. (they get really annoyed if you fall asleep during a water change)
3. Did I mention that the job, that now takes all your waking hours, is a 2.5 hour drive from where you live?
4. Make the painful decision to sell/give away your most prized discus. Watching them go out the door in boxes, even though you know they are going to good homes, will break your heart.
5. Making arraingements to sell the home you love and move to a place that doesn't thrill you, but you do have good friends there. Then doing the work behind that decision....painting, cleaning, throwing away stuff, etc.

But alas, that doesn't cure it either, my best friend is letting me set up 2 125 gallon tanks in her house and a water storage barrel till we can find a place of our own. I guess there really is no cure for this disease called Symphysodonitis.

Spices
04-11-2005, 11:02 PM
"If there's a cure for this I don't want it, I don't want it! If there's a cure for this I don't want it, I don't want it!"

"I think about it all the time, never ever leave my mind cause I'm so in...." :love::guitarist: :sleeping3::smash:

Oops!!! Don't WE have it bad. :rolleyes2:

:D *A*

susankay1
04-21-2005, 02:40 PM
I thought I had a cure lined up. It's a quite involved cure.
1. First, you close your business that lets you stay home a lot of the time. That cuts down on the amount of money you have to spend on your disucs
2. Get a job that requires you to work 13 hours per day.
That cuts down on the amount of time you have to spemd doing water changes and staring at your fish. (they get really annoyed if you fall asleep during a water change)
3. Did I mention that the job, that now takes all your waking hours, is a 2.5 hour drive from where you live?
4. Make the painful decision to sell/give away your most prized discus. Watching them go out the door in boxes, even though you know they are going to good homes, will break your heart.
5. Making arraingements to sell the home you love and move to a place that doesn't thrill you, but you do have good friends there. Then doing the work behind that decision....painting, cleaning, throwing away stuff, etc.

But alas, that doesn't cure it either, my best friend is letting me set up 2 125 gallon tanks in her house and a water storage barrel till we can find a place of our own. I guess there really is no cure for this disease called Symphysodonitis.

Ok, no cure so I went and got a bigger house with room for the fish..I GIVE UP.

KD
04-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Hey Susankay1,
So Glad to see you found a new house!!! Guess you'll be getting more discus again- GOOD FOR YOU!
Karen

Spices
04-23-2005, 12:11 PM
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I'm happy for you too, Susan!!! :)