PDA

View Full Version : Re-sealing an old tank

sidra
04-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Hi.

I was recently given a 29 gal tank and today I decided to go out and buy a stand for it and set it up to move my babies into.

Of course things couldn't go smoothly....While washing it down in the shower I noticed one seam lacking normal amount of silicone. On further inspection, all silicone is lifting. My two new juvies (brothers/sisters of my existing babies) are very upset that they can't move into the 29 gal right away and have to live in smaller digs for a few days. :(

I took a razor blade to remove all silicone from inside the tank. Then I will clean all seams with alcohol. Should I use Absolute or Bacardi? Wait, they're discus...Grand Mariner? No, just kidding.

Anyway, I wanted some advice to make sure I do this right.

1. Could someone who has successfully resealed a tank give me some pointers.

2. Is a resealed tank just as strong as a new one?

Thanks,
Kristen

Doug A
04-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Hi Kristen!

you seem to be on the right track. Clean the seam area completely with a razor blade. Don't leave any old silicone pieces on the glass.

Clean with alcohol thouroghly.

Run a bead of new silicone into the corner from end to end. Smooth it out with your finger tip. I have heard that you can dip your finger in water first to keep the silicone from sticking to your finger. Continue sealing up all the corners, let it dry and your good to go.

HTH
Doug

Greg Richardson
04-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Hi Kristen. Dougs advice sounds good.

Another way to spread the silicone is wet a small sponge and place it like a V into the corner and wipe it down this way.
Both ways work.
I've just had better success personally with using a sponge, also it eliminates clean up on your fingers.

john480
04-10-2005, 08:06 PM
also you can use a wet plastic spoon

funkyfish
04-11-2005, 11:20 AM
make sure u let it air out for a few days before u put ur babys in
ge and dap are the 2 brands i use for resealing it's cheaper than the stuff they sell at lfs
good luck

sidra
04-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will try the sponge or spoon. I got all the old silicone out last night and plan to reseal it tonight.

I want to let it cure for a day or two and then fill it up and leave it empty for a few days just to make sure I did ok before I add any fish.

Thanks again.
Kristen