PDA

View Full Version : shipping theory

Condor
04-10-2005, 09:46 PM
I have been thinking alot about methods to reduce stress during shipment or any time that a discus is going to be in a bag for a long time (that's the kind of thing I do on my spare time :D ). What if a small amount of filter squeezings were added to the bag? Would the bacteria survive in this climate to neutralize ammonia, or would it just end up as dirty water?

Adrian

CARY_GLdiscus
04-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Mr Jones,
Just lower the ph of your shipping water to 7.0 or lower and there will not be any ammonia in it during Their trip!

hth
Cary Gld!

Condor
04-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks Cary. By the way, keep up the good work. You have some great looking fish.

Adrian

Jeff
04-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Add Bag Buddies

CARY_GLdiscus
04-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi Jeff,
I once thought Bag buddies were good stuff But I stopped using them a year back! IME they are not needed at all! If anything the cliants panick when their new fish are laying down. Now that I stoped My cliants discus start to swim right after they are released. NO MORE PHONE CALLS of distress!

Also They do not do anything to help with ammonia! They only containe M-blue for Bacteria, Hp to help with Oxygen, and a very slight sedative. Its totally up To you to pack good water and empty bellies to stop ammonia.
I just Do not want anyone to think that is all they need to do to ship fish is pop a pill LOL!

well hth
Cary Gld!

Barb Newell
04-11-2005, 02:05 PM
What about adding ammo-loc to the bag?

Barb

Dkarc@Aol.com
04-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Not really needed Barb as the pH of the water in the bag will drop below 7 as the Co2 in the bag rises...The reduction of the pH changes the form of ammonia into its less harmful state...just explaining what Cary said. :)

-Ryan

Willie
04-11-2005, 10:19 PM
I use 100% fresh water - treated for chloramine, of course, not water from the tank.

Willie

fishfarm
04-12-2005, 09:08 AM
My Ph is 6 so no ammonia buildup, I use fresh water that has never had fish in it at the same temp as the tank. 99% survival rate! Almost all my DOA's are from bags that get holes poked in them and the fish die from a water shortage. Ken

JeffreyRichard
04-12-2005, 11:45 AM
The essense of the posts are correct; however, low pH doesn't make NH3 (un-ionized ammonia) go away, it only makes it less toxic.

There is a good (but technical) write-up on The Krib
http://www.thekrib.com/Chemistry/ammonia-toxicity.html

Jeff
04-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Maybe I'm just crazy for spending the extra $0.01 per discus but having shipped thousands of discus over the past few years with minimal losses I believe in them.

nanik
04-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Add Bag Buddies

Jeff,

Is this the Bag Buddies that you are referring to ?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12092&inm=1&N=2004+112989+2035

From your experience how long will the tablet last for in the bag ? from the info on the website it states and I quote "Add one tablet to 1 gallon of water. ", does the no of tablets must be adjusted to no of fish also in the bag or only use that rule 1 table = 1gallon ?

Thanks

Jeff
04-13-2005, 12:16 PM
As long as it is a 6" bag or larger I use 1 tablet per bag. If it is less than 6" I break them up into half or thirds. Yes these are the Bag Buddies. I know a lot of people who use them and a lot who don't use them. I just happen to like what they do. I think a lot of it is personal preference. I also know people use a lot of other things for shipping. Some just add Meth Blue into the shipping water.

Giniel
04-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Jeff do you use the bag buddies on all trips or just the ones farther away?
Asking because I am going to be shipping some fish soon and was going to buy the bag buddies in the link above and am trying to get more info on shipping.
Debbie

Jeff
04-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Debbie,

If a local customer buys discus and they are going right home less than 1/2 hour drive (not far in LA) then I do not use these. If it is over 1hr drive then I usually will use these. But for sure if they are shipped overnight I use them.

nanik
04-13-2005, 10:23 PM
If a local customer buys discus and they are going right home less than 1/2 hour drive (not far in LA) then I do not use these. If it is over 1hr drive then I usually will use these. But for sure if they are shipped overnight I use them.

Jeff,

Can the Bag Buddies be used for shipment for more than 16 hrs ? does the farm that you buy your stocks from used them when shipping the discus to you ?

Thanks

Jeff
04-14-2005, 11:09 AM
They can be used for more than 16 hours. When I buy they do not use Bag Buddies.