PDA

View Full Version : Tiny little white things moving erratically along the glass

frenchdiscus
04-11-2005, 09:57 AM
I've noticed some tiny white things moving erratically along the glass last night after my w/c. It's seems like there is quite a lot! My Discus are just fine and don't seem affected by it. I added 1 tbs of salt/10 gal this morning just in case. Anybody seen this before?
Thanks
Olivier

Spices
04-11-2005, 10:04 AM
I've noticed some tiny white things moving erratically along the glass last night after my w/c. It's seems like there is quite a lot! My Discus are just fine and don't seem affected by it. I added 1 tbs of salt/10 gal this morning just in case. Anybody seen this before?
Thanks
Olivier

Hi Olivier,
Do you mean this? Check out the link below:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?p=233695#post233695

frenchdiscus
04-11-2005, 10:16 AM
It's doesn't look like a worm, it's a tiny dot kind of look, really really small, it moves along the glass like jumping... hope this helps. I've heard about a Discus flee once... could it be that?

sidra
04-11-2005, 11:43 AM
I had some planaria in my tank and a few of the little white skittery things. They're from all the feeding. They live off of the uneaten food and multiply like crazy.

Do daily w/c's, wipe down all the glass every day, rinse your sponge filter in tank water and I used salt 1 tbsp per 10 gal.

If you are sure this is what it is you can use Formaldahyde 37 as long as the fish are not too young. When using it make sure you keep up your w/c's and have plenty of airation.

frenchdiscus
04-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Thank you, is there a name for it? Do you think cutting back on feeding and just salt will do? I prefer to avoid medication as much as I can...

Can they arm the fish? Is this common thing?

dishpanhands
04-11-2005, 11:51 AM
i think you have "copepods" here is a link carol wrote look down the page and see if thats what you have..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=34834

frenchdiscus
04-11-2005, 11:56 AM
This is it! Thanks a lot, can it arm the fish?

RyanH
04-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Sounds like Copepods to me too. They are usually an indication of over-feeding or under-cleaning. :D

Clean your filters and wipe down your glass. Reduce feeding to the point that no food is left after several minutes. Syphon off anything uneaten.

They are harmless to your fish; just annoying.

hth!
-Ryan

frenchdiscus
04-11-2005, 12:33 PM
It's over feeding... I tend to spoil them with my newly made beef heart, they always beg for food, I know the limit now!
Thanks guys

Barb Newell
04-11-2005, 12:47 PM
I think they're parasitic copepods, they come from overfeeding and not rinsing the sponges enough.

Barb