PDA

View Full Version : Tank stand suggestions/ideas needed

jdellman
04-15-2005, 11:09 PM
I have been debating the best way to set up a couple stands in my house, and just can't decide on the best placement. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have my 75 gallon in the "home office/fish room/dog room", and want to set up a 29 breeder, and optimistically, a 55 grow out tank (if this is the correct size).

The options, limited not by space, but by the wife :) are the basement and the office. I would enjoy the tanks more in the office, so I am leaning that way. The office is not huge, so I am looking for suggestions on tank stands:

Does anyone know of a stand that will hold two tanks, a 55 and 29? Or even better, but I am probably dreaming, 2 tanks with room for a storage tank underneath? What about suggestions on building such a stand, do you think that could be done, and if so, anyone that can do it? I am pretty clueless when it comes to building, so I would prefer something besides DIY. I have seen storage racks, but I need, (been told I need :) ) something nicer than that.

The problem comes in with the storing water. I want to have the storage tanks in the office too (to avoid the bucket brigade- and to age the water), and the only logical place is under the tanks. Again, I know I can get a huge storage tank, but the wife won't allow it. Anything I am missing? This has to be a common problem, so what does everyone do?

Again, thanks for any advice.

Jim

Howie_W
04-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Hi Jim,

I would condsider building yourself a stand...it's really not that difficult, and you could easily design it to support the two tanks with plenty of room left over to fit a storage container beneath it, including a pair of doors to hide the storage area. If you don't have wood cutting equipment, the wood can be pre-cut for you and assembled at home.

As for where to place it, convenience is always a factor; basementfloors are much more forgiving when you consider how much water gets spilled on a daily basis, even if it's only a small amount.

There are plenty of premade racks you can buy such as the Metro stands, however they are not cheap. The money that you save by building your own set-up can be used for more important things like buying more fish! :)

Howie

korbi_doc
04-16-2005, 08:49 AM
:D :D If you put tanks in your office, I would suggest the heavy duty shelving sold at Sam's & other places. Some are called gorilla racks, the ones I'll be getting are Seville Industrial shelving (model #18496) 6 tier which'll be split for 2 upright stands, 72X48X18 & hold 600#/shelf. ($76). I can swing a hammer & use an electric saw pretty well still, but not willing to put out that much effort when I can buy it at that price & not have to paint, stain or clean up the mess. In my opinion these look much nicer (esp in a house). Look around, I think Mench has pics of his set-up somewhere on the forum... JMO Dottie :sun:

Spices
04-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Way to go, Dottie!!! :D

I am thinking of getting a new stand myself but to hold both 75 and 110 tanks. Think I'll hit up the shops to look around. This article came timely for me. ;) *A*

jdellman
04-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will look for some of those racks you mentioned.

Doesn't it seem like there is a market out there for this type of rack? Someone could do pretty well designing and making these.

jeep
04-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Here's an example of a quad rack. You can always expand from the same basic idea. It cost around $20 and took about 30 minutes to build...

jeep
04-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Here's one that holds a 55g and a 20g on the upper rack and a 55g lower...

Greg Richardson
04-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi Jeep. Thanks for pictures. Couple questions.

1. What type of wood is under your insulation that tanks sit on?

2. Is all frame wood 1x4's? Or 2x4's where tank level is?

Thanks!

PS. If any others have tank stands they made, or purchased, and you have pictures, I bet lot of people would love to see them. TIA.

jeep
04-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Hi Greg.

The entire construction is of 2x4's and deck screws. There is no wood underneath the tanks except for the 2x4 frame. The frame is made about 1 1/2" larger than the overall measurement of the tanks, plus enough room to insert the lower tanks. What you see is pink foamboard insulation...

Greg Richardson
04-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks Jeep. After looking at it again I can see the thickness. I was wondering how you could have used 1x4's? LOL!

Note to self........eye check appointment soon!