PDA

View Full Version : Ghoust

lado
04-21-2005, 01:44 AM
Hi guys .
I have 2.5" ghoust discus kept in QT for couple of months.Im itchy to have him in my planted 80gl with 5 other fish.What do you think is he gona get enough feed and not to much "atention"from others considering size disadventage?

hexed
04-21-2005, 01:59 AM
Lado,
I would actually grow them out first in a BB tank before you put them in the planted tank because they might not get enough food for full growth. Ghost look really nice when grown out and not stunt which they will deffinately be :(
How big is the QT tank? How many ghosts do you have?

GulfCoastDiscus
04-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Being a single 2.5" fish, he would more than likely get picked on by the bigger stablished fish.
Fish that size don't do well alone. I like 10 pieces.

Carol_Roberts
04-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Dan is correct. It is very hard for a single small fish to successfully compete in an established tank. Maybe you could move one or two of the smaller discus into his Q-tank, wait a week and then move all three to the big tank.

BGTW
04-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Bah! Just dump him in. There's plenty of place to hide. Drop him a few pellets before you go to sleep. He is better off in there than outside. Ghosts at that size are actually good for bigger fish. Seen them clean parasites off big red parrots. JMO.

lado
04-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Would this work ,if I transfer paired up couple of TURKS to QT tank and remove another couple of fish.Would that help him out.
That is my next question.QT is on the floor and I was gona try breeding turks in it, is it true that they should be at eye level?

NatakuTseng
04-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Keeping them at eye level helps to keep them from getting spooked and darting around the tank hitting the glass. This is especially important when spawning them since if they get spooked or scared it may trigger them to eat their eggs and fry. As to your little ghost I would not move him into the community tank untill he has hit 5inches or so. Like has been said its much better to let him grow out in a BB tank so he gets plenty of food and will fill out very nicely. It is possible to do this in a planted tank, but he will grow much slower, and will run a much higher risk of being stunted or not developing a nice round shape. If it was me, I'd consider purchasing a few more guys his size to have in the Q tank with him, and grow them all out together. Discus aren't solitary fish and don't do well as solitary specimens, in the wild they are found in huge groups and schoal together much like Cardinal tetras and the like. Keeping them in groups of a minimum of 4 (unless spawning them) its ideal.